• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

can we do it folks?

purplebumble

Warren Veteran
i mentioned it in another post but now its got me really buzzing.
---------------------------------------------------------------
id like a book entitled ......so you think youre rabbit maybe ill........or ten top tips for helping bun survive before the emergency vet........is youre bunny quiet or is it ill.......etc etc..then another chapter dealing with levels of said illness treatments.....from novice to the experts on here..you know who you are

maybe we should all collaborate and write our own experiences down and then at the end send them to one very patient person or twenty who could then write them up as case histories with a bullet point on the condition..symptoms..home treatments..vet treatments..alternative therapies...etc etc and how it progressed......
each condition could have its own chapter with stasis especially..unique causes like donnas bob who got it from shredding fibres off his bandage on his paw that the vet had warapped up..anyone rember that case?

how to treat a bunny in shock....how to resuscitate a bunny etc etc..i have a cat book with a chapter on emergency first aid for cats with even mouth to mouth for cats but havent found anything of the like for bunnies....

if we could get it off and running we could then get proceeds for the fund like we have here where it gets picked for rescues..or named sources susch as ebony eyes....and all the resuces here for a start.

pipe dream maybe..but hey i can spell check and type to a fashion pmsl..would need aprinter tho...and a brain..........

seriously tho if we all could chip in typing up a few chapters each can you imagine the time it would save and it would be all our baby

mmm write the bunny book you always wished youd had to begin with....without cannabslising other works already available. one section at a time dealing with novice owners right up to seasoned bun nurses.

anyone?

:lol::lol:

yeah you can help!

aww honestly....has this been done already or something?

no ones interested..not at all.....i mean we can do it cheaply in pamphlet form to print off..or make it an E book......dont know...downloads would be beter for most folks so i guess an online book then...??????

keep it up guys.......we all wished wed had such a book at one timeor another.and in an emergency surfing the net isnt always easy or an option....a book you can flick thru is however....maybe we can get it rolling approach a printer etc but not until we have some serious input!!

do you others really not want to do this...imagine the bliss of a copy on your coffee table and a ..ooh look thats me that is:lol:

I think its a really good idea. Whilst I consider myself pretty together on care and behaviour I'd really like to know more advanced stuff that the books don't tell you. There's a lot of good stuff on this website for example infracol for stastis and vitamin e for floppy rabbit which could save lives. I have peter gurneys book 'piggie potions' which I've found really useful, I'd love something similar for buns.

It sounds like a good idea, I have put together leaflets, books (short ones) etc before, I spent a couple of years doing it as a job.

I'd be worried about the legal technicalities of giving health advice when you're not a qualified vet - on a forum it's slightly different, we're all aware that must of the advice is "just" personal experience, but if it's published in a book someone may take it for gospel and even sue if the suggested home remedies don't work or make the bunny worse

Peter Gurney as I mentioned must of got round it somehow. I believe it does say at the beginning of his book that it is no way a subsitute for a vet just his experience in years of keeping piggies. If not a book maybe sections could be added to the reference section of the forum that people could refer to when required instead of waiting for responses to threads or searching other posts.

:wave: great..i thought everyone had just walked away........

uhum a disclaimer should do it..i mean the rabbit health book of the 21st century is the same not done by a vet!!

also im sure a few of us here with lovley lovely vets....rob if youre reading this:wave::lol::lol:
will be able tohelp us with giving a bit more advice or we could double check what we used is a good way of doing it..maybe they could print off some more articles for us...hint hint...i know you lurk!!:lol:

exactly...i had a great bun vet who taught me about syringe feeding all those years ago....i didnt have web access in those days! but fruit sugar free baby food if nothing at all with critical care powder in it.!!

about hibiscrub for sore hocks..the wonders of sea salt and warm boiled water!! what size syringe to use for syringing water/mushed pellets or recovery powder/baby food. What to do if the syringe gets stuck with recovery powder..where to keep a stock of things yourself if your vet hasnt got them....etc etc....stuff most of us here take for granted....but with my 1st bun how owuld i have known that! with oscar when he had gi and was dying..i didnt know the borderlines as my old bun had ot so often and always recovered..i missed the subtle signs....and what i should have been given advised by the vet...i didnt question stupidly! it was down to here and the net i found out about simethicone..and here to discover it was infacol!

we all have had tummy bunnies/dental bunnies at least....tips on herbs instead of veg to feed.....types of feeds and amounts etc....something only folks whove had the buns with it can advise you on that! vets cant really as they dint have the time.

haematomas..berties the very first bun ive ever had with one of those...and the first ive ever had to get an abscess......all mine have had something....and if only id known about using the horse worming paste etc and the panacur pre runner..id have known about ec which is possibly the parasite woozle picked up or shed after his skidding thru the dog mess that someone had left right outside the fence where he walked every single day. how his fever spiked and he was paralysed that morning and couldnt breathe etc..and the pdsa vet didnt even listen to his chest..sent him home and he was dead withing half an hourof getitng home:(

dont diss your vet but dont be afraid to question....thats another thing we need to spread around......how to psot a rabbit savvy vet/practice.....

little things that we have all learnt the hard way over the years!

im going to have to get osme vet quotes on rabbit first aid tho....;)

lets do this folks..lets all do this..a rabbit united production:lol:

power to the bunnies!!!

eezee carlton mon....all de bunnies...even da black bunnehs bro.

Back