• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Problem with back legs UPDATE

Hi guys. Ash is a 3-4 yr old neutered female. She came as another unwanted pet about 15 months ago. A few weeks ago I noticed she was struggling with her back legs, she seemed to be dragging them occasionally. I monitored it and within a couple of days she seemed better. About a week later it happened again. Then yesterday morning Kev said she was struggling again and it looked like she had been bitten on her back by one of the others.
I went out and she was indeed dragging her back legs again and it looks as if one of the other buns has had a bit of a go. She doesn't seem to be in any pain, she doesn't mind you touching her legs or moving them. She moves around well just with difficulty. She is eating well but has lost weight recently. She is also drinking a lot. When I checked her box this morning, there was a lot of wee on the paper beneath her hay. I have put her in the run separate from the others as I don't think its fair for her to be picked on by them. I will take her to the vets tomorrow evening to see what they say but just wondered if anyone had any experience.
Injury doesnt seem to fit as she has got better then worse again. I did think kidneys as she is drinking so much, but that doesnt explain the legs. What about diabetes? that would explain the drinking and the loss of use of limbs. I really dont know. havent seen this before.
help!
thanks,
Jess

Last edited:
Hi Jess.It sounds very like EC. Nia had these symptoms..back leg weakness and excessive drinking and urination, as well as weight loss. Has she had a course of Panacur?

It is passed very easily between rabbits as the EC spores are excreted in the urine, so if another rabbit ingests the spores it will contract EC. Do they live together? You can buy the paste and administer it to all your rabbits. It is cheaper to use the liquid form though.

I have 6 living together. none of the others have shown any symptoms. What does EC stand for? cant remember! can suggest it to my vets tomorrow ;)

Hi . It's E cuniculi. If you Google it there's loads of info. . there's also a thread somewhere here as well. I'll see if I can finds it for you.

Thanks guys. may take the article with me tomorrow as never sure which vet i will see :? her symptoms fit but as the article says it could be something else entirely. will keep a close eye on the others for symptoms too. wish me luck, and any spare vibes for ash would be appreciated too x jess

luckily saw one of the rabbit savvy vets. she is worried at her general lack of condition and weight loss, although she weighs 2.1kg she has lost condition. We have started her on a course of panacur, they took bloods and are going to do a full screen, tox screen and check kidney function. I will keep her on pellets to help her condition and lots of tasty veg, she is eating well so thats a bonus. Bloods will go off tomorrow so hopefully results on wed, will try and update then. She seemed better in the vets, had her back legs under her and was hopping rather than walking and dragging. :roll: they never present the right symptoms when you want them to :roll: x jess

Back