• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Chelsea and Sooty-Neighbours not Flatmates

sdf76

Mama Doe
Just to update you.

(Bonded bunnies became unbonded after the unspayed one went(alone) for spay)

Chelsea and Sooty went to (my daughter)bunlover's on Sunday night last week for an attempt at re-bonding.
Although it all started unbelievably well, and by Wednesday they were licking one another again and had laid side by side happily for over an hour at a time,
On Thursday morning out of the blue, they had a massive locked on fight with Chelsea getting injured. It was quite a shock as they both suddenly went at one another.

We did think Chelsea would need to get vet treatment for the wound but after much decision, we both felt the stress of a trip to a different (albeit good) vet would be greater than leaving her quietly to recover. In view of the fact that it seems to be healing and she isn’t in distress we’ve decided to leave it be, (though are obviously monitoring her, for signs of infection)

Nevertheless-because they are so unpredictable together we have decided that they will now live apart –certainly for the time being. I ask myself- if some new friend had bitten me, would I want to be pals with her straight away?…and the answer is no.

So- on that basis they will live as neighbours rather than flatmates.

If in the future I really think they want to be together, I will re-try bonding, but for both their sakes, I think it’s important for them to feel safe. This morning they were laid side by side (either side of the barrier fence) in the rabbit room and I Soooo wanted to remove it but I just can’t trust them now.

Both of them had been living alone for many years previously, and it’s nice they now have one another for company to talk to through the fencing, and of course they are in the same room at night(with a fence between)so can interact(but not harm each other then). .

I’m so glad they had a few days back in their bunny buddies relationship at bunlover’s, even though they are still unbonded.

I think they are happy bunnies and certainly both loved(if not by one another!) -Sue:wave:

Complex, stubborn and so unknowing of the fact that we're trying to do the best by them.. .but we love them and the main thing is that they're safe, clean and cared for.

they are definatly having a great time living out their twilight years and seem very content as neighbours both are rescue buns (tho we had chelsea a lot lot lot longer since a young un') both are spoiled in their accomodation and love the garden, maybe with time they will learn to play together i hope so they were such good freinds and had begun to rebond this week until they had a massive lock on fight. big sigh....still back to sq 1 and with time mayeb they will realise how daft they are being!!!!

Back