• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

OMG I'm gaining

lotsofsmoggies

Mama Doe
another and rabbit and his friend a Guinea Pig!! I know NO rabbits and piggies together but that will change once we have them here. Our neighbours are foreign and said to us last night do you want a rabbit and Guinea Pig? They have friends that are moving and aparently can't take them with them. (but they can take the dog). So at around 10 tomorrow a two story hutch will arrive with the residents.

I need advice on how to look after a piggie I've never had one before. Looking to be pointed in the direction of forums etc or even personal experience.

Can't believe we said yes. Oh well more the merrier. They are suppose to be male, no idea of the age or what they have been fed on etc... The rabbit is a sticky up ear REW and the piggie is tri coloured.

I'm soooooo excited!!!!! :D

i feed my piggies a lot of veggies and some fruits.. i dont feed them pellets, as we rarely get them here, but i believe that some people say that it is good for them.. i use old newspapers for bedding... u can litter train them like bunnies... they love burrowing and tunnels to sleep in (i make cardboard tunnels)

hope this helps :)

http://www.guinealynx.info/ this is a very good site. Most of the rules you know for rabbits are the same for piggies. They need hay, veg and a small amount of dried pellets. Pellets are better than mix, guinea pig food is fortified with vitamin C.

They suffer from extreemes of temperature more than rabbits so need protection in the summer and the winter.

I love piggies, the noise they make is just adorable.

Any book by Peter Gurney will be helpful. I think the Pampered Piggies website has bits on what foods are safe.

If possible when you know what he/she is I would try and get him/her a guinea pig friend as they do like company of their own species.

Most important thing to remember with piggies is that they need plenty of veg. They need losts of vitamin c. Mine love Brocolli and bell peppers which are really high in vit c.

Back