• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Attaching run to hutch

bluebunny

Wise Old Thumper
How can you attach a run to a hutch but securely and so preditors cant get in? it has those hook things but i dont trust them

Hi, I did this once but as im not sure what type of hutch you have i dont know whether it will be relevent to you.
The hutch had 18" legs i got two 6 inch thick legths of wood and raised the hutch to the same height as the run and then all i had to do was bolt the run to the legs (legs where 44x44mm square) i then got plywood screwed to back and sides to meet the floor. I think the total cost was around £17 its not as complicated as it may sound either. i also added a 1.3 metre ramp which was made from remaining ply.

hope it helps or at least gives you and idea.

Jason

I use wire hasps and small padlocks. You can get the hasps in B&Q and the padlocks are probably cheapest in Wilkinsons.

I use screws and secure them completely to my hutches.... drill and then use long screws all over.... through the wood of the run into the hutches..

Its the 5ft version off this ive got
mason20r191641.jpg

I prefer runs attached to the rear of the hutch, so that you've got easy access to the hutch doors. You could put a cat flap in to give access through the rear of the hutch into the run.

Its the 5ft version off this ive got
mason20r191641.jpg

I would hinge the lid of the run so that you can get in/out to clean and attach the run with screws to the hutch... I think that is the most secure. Both my hutches are on top of the runs with lids so that I can clean the runs and get to the hutches too

Back