• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Newly bonded bunnies with other bunny smells

Indiechic

Wise Old Thumper
Ok, so marsha and casper have been a couple for around 3 weeks now. they get on well and moo is def the boss.

i want to put bailey in the run this evening for abit as i need to mop my floor...

his run is adjecent to thiers, its within sight but not close enough to bite or anything...

is this ok?

They'll chase.
Nibbles & Bobby go nuts when they see Biscuit & Wuzzle out on the patio. We have to put a blanket over the bottom of their hutch so they can't fight through the wire. It's the same the other way round too.

Hiya.

For a newly bonded pair it could be pretty risky in my opinion. I have a pair here who are related and have been together for a good few years, but whenever there is another bunny near, it starts referred aggression.

I would be fairly careful about this.

I have just had a lovely pair of bunnies here who have been bonded for a quite a while, but still when their mum exercised her new male bunny (who had recently be neutered) in a run near their hutch, they started fighting. It has taken a while in neutral territory for them to look like they are okay with each other. I realise that it may have been the fact that the new boy was still quite hormonal, but it could also have been that they could actually see him from a distance - he lives indoors and they live outdoors.

I think it's all down to the individual bunsters, but I would just take care or you might have a bit of re-bonding to do.

Hiya.

For a newly bonded pair it could be pretty risky in my opinion. I have a pair here who are related and have been together for a good few years, but whenever there is another bunny near, it starts referred aggression.

I would be fairly careful about this.

I have just had a lovely pair of bunnies here who have been bonded for a quite a while, but still when their mum exercised her new male bunny (who had recently be neutered) in a run near their hutch, they started fighting. It has taken a while in neutral territory for them to look like they are okay with each other. I realise that it may have been the fact that the new boy was still quite hormonal, but it could also have been that they could actually see him from a distance - he lives indoors and they live outdoors.

I think it's all down to the individual bunsters, but I would just take care or you might have a bit of re-bonding to do.

thats fine, i shall put them away in abit and put him out for an hour. hes a house bun and not caged often but i like him to get a bit of fresh air.

how does everyone cope who has lots of buns?

Squit & Wuzzle on the patio
Nibbles & Bobby in Squit & Wuzzle's run
Minnie & Dylan in Nibbles & Bobby's run.
Theres about 15 - 20 cm between the runs. Nibbles sticks her head out to sniff the beabies, but they're not bothered as they're not territorial

We are very lucky here - apart from my Katie and Captain (the pair that don't like other bunnies near), all of our other bunnies have accommodation scattered around the garden. They all have their own runs but we have a communal run on the grass. Nearly all of our bunnies can see other bunnies but it doesn't seem to worry them at all.

One pair of ours Gemima and Henry Carrot Hound actually sit and watch the others out on the grass just in case they miss anything exciting.

We are just so, so lucky. It could also be because most of ours are quite a bit older and are a bit passed getting too upset.:D

We are very lucky here - apart from my Katie and Captain (the pair that don't like other bunnies near), all of our other bunnies have accommodation scattered around the garden. They all have their own runs but we have a communal run on the grass. Nearly all of our bunnies can see other bunnies but it doesn't seem to worry them at all.

One pair of ours Gemima and Henry Carrot Hound actually sit and watch the others out on the grass just in case they miss anything exciting.

We are just so, so lucky. It could also be because most of ours are quite a bit older and are a bit passed getting too upset.:D

moo is a year and 4 months, casp is about the same.

they are quite a calm couple but i shan't risk it today x

Back