• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Possible sore hocks?? HELP!

Sparkle x

Wise Old Thumper
I have never had this problem before. Bit basically lopsy (french lop) and bo have a hutch run combo which is on paving slabs. They have lino in there hutch and some trays with hay etc in. I noticed lopsys fur had started looking wet and matted. However on closer inspection on her feet i noticed they looked sore and red. I have booked her into the vets tomorrow to get it checked out. But im just wondering if theres anything else i can do.

I thought about shutting them in their hutch due to the bad weather and giving them chance to dry off there feet etc. Would this be a good idea??

What could i apply to her feet and is there anything i could do to prevent this?

Also what should i expect from the vets? Antiobiotics? Treatment?

Sorry just worried and have never had this before....

Natalie

If they are not cracked, then you could put some sudocrem on, that is what I use on mine if they look a little sore. Make sure they are clean before putting it on though. It may be all they need.

From what I've read it seems the cushioning or otherwise of the floor is a contributing factor because a ridid floor puts more pressure on the hocks...so if you could add something springy like rubber matting or a patch of grass that might help.

:wave: sudocrem is great or the skin cream you get in the vets or pet shop is fine... make sure you wash and dry the feet first though otherwise you are locking in the wee! doesnt matter if bun licks the crem so long as they dont eat too much of it! if they have a littertray put in plenty of stuff to soak up the wee..

Thanks alot!!

I will bare the sudacream in mind!!

The vet said id done a great job with her, keeping her clean and dry! He gave her an injection of baytril just to be safe (as i couldnt actually show him the cuts on her feet)...

I also got some rearguard just to be extra careful!!!

Thanks!!:D

I've known sore hocks to be a sign of urinary tract problems, UTIs sometimes present like this before they've got to the stage where the bun is wetting itself. Buns urinate on the floor rather than litter tray then sit in it, causing urine burn.

Being a larger bun, it's more likely to be pressure caused by the flooring, but it's something worth keeping in mind.

Good luck :D

Back