• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Post Spey Advice and Separate Question about Tea Tree

hollyd123

Warren Scout
Hiya, :wave:

Darcy was speyed about 3 weeks ago, she went back for a check up about 5 days post spey whereby the nurse flipped her over and said all was fine. I got her out today and have felt her tummy and about 5mm away from the incision area it feels grissly, slightly lumpy under the skin - is this internal stitches/scar tissue? Should I be worrying about it?

She was quite difficult to catch today and when I got her back in from her run on the lawn (she has two runs) she was sooooo nasty!! I nearly ended up leaving her there. She was bunny boxing, kicking, trying to bite etc. I had to get her in to her run on the patio as I didn't want to leave her on in the lawn run while we were out. I was quite upset about her behaviour at the time :( (okay, so she's never been a loving bunny, but this was horrible!). Is she just a grumpy bun or could it be painful when she's picked up and thats why she's lashing out?

Second question: I've heard that putting tea tree on the wood in her hutch can stop them gnawing it, does this work and if so, how do you administer it? Dilute/neat etc?

Third question: She is v.v.v.destructive, even though I give her LOTS of toys, treat balls etc. She has nearly eaten away all her ladder - I've had to do hundreds of repairs! :oops: I keep thinking she must be bored (even though I try to spend lots of time with her and give her lots of things to play and interact with) - would having a mate help? My OH keeps saying she'd be a man eater and upset a male bunny - she's v.fiesty - but maybe she'd be okay with her own species?! If/when I get her a mate, are there any specific requirements with regards to breed/size/age? She is a standard rex rabbit.

Sorry for all the questions, I feel really embaressed that my knowledge is sooo rubbish - sorry guys :oops: I just want to do the best for her :D

- Holly -

:wave: I think the spay scars do stay quite lumpy around the stitches for a while, could also be a bit of scar tissue. Us humans still feel a little nobbly and bumpy around the scars if we have had invasive surgery :) Is she due a vaccine because if she is you could ask the vet to check her over at the same time, to settle your mind ?

Some buns really arent people bunnies :) I have very few bunnies who like to be caught and petted .... its a bunny thing :lol: Bunnies do like to live in pairs or groups :D I think a neutered boy would be excellent for her :) Im sure your local rescue will have lots of bucks already neutered and vaccinated waiting for homes :) Most rescues also do a bonding service to save you the hassle :)

I have used plasterers metal batons in some of my hutches to stop the biting ! I just nail them onto the sticky out parts of the wood. You can also try some spray which various pet shops sell :)

:wave: we have a moody mare! shes very bossy with her new brother! im sure if you took her to a rescue they could help her find a nice laid back male who would let her boss him around! the hormones for does takes a while to calm down after a spay .the vet said sometimes upto a year!

Bad day Darcy wise - she went for me several times which I got a bit upset about, then she bit and drew blood on OH :cry: She got a lot better temperament wise before her spey, but I think her treatment at the vets has sent us back a long way. I think its just gonna take time. I'm going to invest in some tough gardening type gloves so I don't get injured during that time!!!

:wave: I think the spay scars do stay quite lumpy around the stitches for a while, could also be a bit of scar tissue. Us humans still feel a little nobbly and bumpy around the scars if we have had invasive surgery :) Is she due a vaccine because if she is you could ask the vet to check her over at the same time, to settle your mind
Good idea. She's due a VHD jab, will get her checked then :D

we have a moody mare! shes very bossy with her new brother! im sure if you took her to a rescue they could help her find a nice laid back male who would let her boss him around! the hormones for does takes a while to calm down after a spay .the vet said sometimes upto a year!

:shock: A year!! Yikes!!! I almost feel mean to any potential boy bunnies out there :lol:

Back