• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I feel sad & a bit shocked, please send any vibes you can

Fairy13

Wise Old Thumper
Maybe you'll remember a while ago I posted about Picollo. He had lost alot of weight and was weeing on himself etc. I know initially my vet treated for a urine infection and since then his bottom did dry up and look better.
However he was eating alot and all the right food but had still only put on about 20g in a month, which given what he was consuming was not anywhere near enough. He was also still passing runny poos on occassion and uneaten ceacotrophs (sp?)
My vet has always maintained that she didnt think the prob was EC.
Turns out she's right. He went in for a GA, dental examination and bloods on wednesday and they had the results back today.
(I think I have this ight but please bear with me if I get stuff done wrong, I'm a bit in shock)
Our poor boy has leukeamia. I think she said he had no white blood cells (would that be right?) Funnily enough I thought this morning what cancer can you not see? and I thought leukemia. I'm so upset. I wonder if in a funny way nature knows what she's doing as, as i said before, he was a few days behind all his litter mates and would probably not have made it had we not have stepped in with extra milk etc. Is leukeamia a result of a genetic predisposition? I dont know, maybe someone here will know.
Emily (vet) thinks its worth giving him series of injections first every day for 3 days and then every 3 days for 2 weeks to try and boost the good bone marrow (i think she said) and send the cancer into remission. It could work and he'll be right as rain for hopefully a few months.
Thankfully our little man doesnt seem to know he's ill, he's happy, sprightly, eating and bouncy. Will the medication make him feel ill? This is all stuff I will discuss with Emily come Monday but I will hopefully go visit him tomorrow too.
I feel so many things. Guilty cos we've been so busy lately with the wedding and all so that I havent spent as much time as i should, anxiety cos how ever long he has left, if he goes into remission or not, how can I make however long he has left as brilliant for him as possible. And I must admit worried, as with the wedding and all, we're not loaded right now and how much will it all cost (though dont get me wrong it will all be paid so he can have every chance possible for a long and happy life as possible) it can be just all put on a CC but it is still a worry. Just curiosity and a bit philosophical that perhaps mother nature does know what she's doing.
And then just shocked and devastated that our sweet boy who used to sit in my top and have his milk has had such horrible news before he's even 2 (not til oct 2nd is his 2nd birthday)
I'm not sure what for exactly but please send vibes for him - that he continues to feel well, that the treatment makes hime better for a time so I can spoil him rotten. I dont know, just vibes for him please.
I'll dig out some piccies of him and of course make sure i take plenty more. I gave up work days before the wedding. I'm so glad I have more time around to be with him.

So sorry about Picollo, I hope the injections work and it goes into remission. You are doing all you can for your little man. Sending tons of vibes to him and a big hug to you.

So sorry to hear about Picollo :(

Sending lots of healing vibes for the little man ~*~*~*~

Thank you. He will never be "Well" again but we could possibly bide him more time. As he is so well in himself and doesnt know he's ill, I'd love him to go into remission so he can enjoy the rest of the summer at least. If it flares up again, right now I dont feel its something that we can keep on putting him through but I think he deserves this chance to enjoy his life a little longer. And for his sister that he lives with, Lettice. They are a lovely couple and adore each other. I hope they can be together for a while longer yet. Thanks for the hugs and vibes x x

Hi. I'm so sorry to hear about your bunny :(. Is that Emily the vet at Nine Lives? If so they are fantastic and I've started taking some of my rabbits there although I work in another vets.

Hi. I'm so sorry to hear about your bunny :(. Is that Emily the vet at Nine Lives? If so they are fantastic and I've started taking some of my rabbits there although I work in another vets.

yeah it is Emily at Nine Lives, her and the nurses there are brilliant x x

Hi, sorry to hear about your bunny.
I'm guessing your talking about chemotherapy. My vets have treated a few dogs and they say that it doesn't affect animals the way it affects humans and they stay happy and bright through it :D. I would think the thing you need to keep an eye on is any infections as he will have no white blood cells to fight them, but antibiotics should deal with it. I would suspect there isn't a lot of knowledge about leukemia in rabbits, so well done for finding out, most people wouldn't go that far.
When similar things happen to me, I think, well we are on unknown territory, so go for it as we don't know what to expect, as long as the bunny isn't suffering. I hope he stays well and gets to enjoy his summer.

Hi, sorry to hear about your bunny.
I'm guessing your talking about chemotherapy. My vets have treated a few dogs and they say that it doesn't affect animals the way it affects humans and they stay happy and bright through it :D. I would think the thing you need to keep an eye on is any infections as he will have no white blood cells to fight them, but antibiotics should deal with it. I would suspect there isn't a lot of knowledge about leukemia in rabbits, so well done for finding out, most people wouldn't go that far.
When similar things happen to me, I think, well we are on unknown territory, so go for it as we don't know what to expect, as long as the bunny isn't suffering. I hope he stays well and gets to enjoy his summer.

Thank you x Its goodto know that hopefully the treatment wont make him feel unwell. I think as you say about the infection thing, that'll be why he potentially picked up a urine infection, as thats what he was treated for 4 weeks ago and it did seem to cheer him up a little, so i guess thats why he picked that up.
As you say, I'm guessing there's not alot of research done on leukaemia in bunnies too as I just googled it and couldnt really find anything relevent.
Thanks for your post hun x

Back