• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice on spayed bunny..etc etc

Sparkle x

Wise Old Thumper
..as some of you know i am in process of spaying and neutering my bunnies (4) so i can bond them HOPEFULLY!

At present i have had my two gurls done and i have my two lads booked in beginning of next month.

Everything went fine with Angelica, expect she started pulling her stitches but thats all okay now.

Next was Bella "adopted from pah as possibly pregnant about 2months ago now".....Bella has always had soft poos and not reacted very well to veggies, therefore always only been allowed a small amount. However when she went in for spaying, the vet informed me that her instenstines (sp) were full of poo??? I was confused and could barely understand him....he asked Q's about her diet and her poo etc..so i told him. He said she was slightly bloated and needed fattening up as she was skinny. I took her back 2days later and he said she wasnt as bloated but to keep an eye on her. He didnt suggest anything about the instenstines or the poo. Just said to keep everything as normal and ensure constant supply of hay, min veg and plenty of food and water??

Anyone else heard of this in bunnys? He also said it may improve now that she has been spayed.....??

So yeah two more to go my boys and then recovery time and bonding hopefully...xxx

From your thread I am not 100% sure of what is going on.

However the only advise I can give is to ensure that your rabbit is on as high fibre diet as possible.

They should eat their body size in hay each day.

A pelleted diet is better than a mix diet. If your rabbit has soft poos Bunny Basics T by Oxbow, Science Selective or Allan and Page woudl probably be more better than one of the lower fibre foods. If your rabbit has lots of soft poos Excel would be better avoided as this can cause a small number of rabbits problems. If you are changing a rabbits pellets this needs to be done slowly over a period of at least 10 days. They should be only eating about an egg cup full of pellets a day.

I would continue to feed a small amount of greens per day. do not feed fresh foods which are high in sugar like carrots, apples, banana, pear, grapes etc as these can cause fermentation in the cut occuring which can result in problems of bloat.

From your thread I am not 100% sure of what is going on.

However the only advise I can give is to ensure that your rabbit is on as high fibre diet as possible.

They should eat their body size in hay each day.

A pelleted diet is better than a mix diet. If your rabbit has soft poos Bunny Basics T by Oxbow, Science Selective or Allan and Page woudl probably be more better than one of the lower fibre foods. If your rabbit has lots of soft poos Excel would be better avoided as this can cause a small number of rabbits problems. If you are changing a rabbits pellets this needs to be done slowly over a period of at least 10 days. They should be only eating about an egg cup full of pellets a day.

I would continue to feed a small amount of greens per day. do not feed fresh foods which are high in sugar like carrots, apples, banana, pear, grapes etc as these can cause fermentation in the cut occuring which can result in problems of bloat.

Can only second this really. If she is skinny I would feed a higher portion of pellets than you normally do.

So should i change her food to a more high fibre diet? She has constant supply of hay each day.

Thanks for help guys. She does seem bloated sometimes though...

I would personally change her over to SS or A & P and agree with all the other advice given :)

Back