• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Right, I am moving along quite nicely thanks to you all now tell me about Dwarf Lops!

senatorvass

Warren Scout
Ok, I have been listening to you all give great advice and I have found 2 rescue bunnies to have - and I am picking them up on 8 August when they will be 3 months. They are going to be house rabbits and I am getting this http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/rodents/cages/rabbit_cage/30344

(Please dont buy them all up I really need this before they go out of stock!!!) :D

The bunnies are 2 dwarf lops - go on then, tell me ALL about them please!!!!

I havent seen them in person yet. I was phoning around shelters today from a link someone gave me here and found these little ones who will be 3 months in August - she told me they are black with silver markings and I am waiting for pics to be emailed to me!

Is 3 months a good age to adopt?

thats a piggie cage.. waaaaay to small for one bunny so no way would hold two :shock::shock::shock::shock:

have you considered a dog pen or crate? or a mix of the two like this??....

P1010003-4.jpg

Dwarf lops are fab, such great characters. My last bun Mitsy was a dwarf lop and loved to be watched while she ran around and played little chase games, although it took her weeks to get used to me.

I've looked at the cage thing, I would say something bigger (as I usually do) the bigger the better :)

Congrats by the way, would love to see some pics when you get them! :D

They sound gorgeous, look forward to seeing photos. 3 months is a nice age, as you'll get to see them grow! What sex are they? If it's a boy and a girl you'll need to keep them seperated 'til after neutering.

Flip and Decca (in my sigs) are both Dwarf Lops and have lots of character, but they are completely different from one another so I can't tell you what to expect.

Would tend to agree that a bigger cage would be much better for them, as you'll probably find that one isn't big enough as they grow.

Roo. :D

i had a dwarf lop until a week ago when he died :cry: there lovely beautifull love hugs (well mine did ) and just great i would recomend one!!

heres a pic of my one

guineapigssept07004.jpg

ok thank you for the feedback re the cage!

Since they are only really going to go in at night though wouldnt it be ok? I dont want to sound unwilling to do the right thing its just that I dont have loads of space for a large dog kennel. So if they have the whole run of the house and totally safely enclosed garden which no creature can escape from wouldnt it be ok to have this for night time?

ok thank you for the feedback re the cage!

Since they are only really going to go in at night though wouldnt it be ok? I dont want to sound unwilling to do the right thing its just that I dont have loads of space for a large dog kennel. So if they have the whole run of the house and totally safely enclosed garden which no creature can escape from wouldnt it be ok to have this for night time?

it would be worth a try hun, but when you see the little faces as you lock them up the guilt will drive you mad... i got a cage like that to start and Alvin looked ace at first but as he got bigger i felt so cruel locking him up for just an hour :oops::oops: so i attached a pen and moved him to a different room with more space... one day they will have a whole room to themselves.

i cant wait to see pics when you get them home :D

Hi, dwarf lops are great rabbits, and generally good natured, they are my personal favourites.
Although they are called dwarf they are not small, but rather medium sized rabbits.
They can be prone to eye and teeth problems, so always be aware and get them checked when at the vets for boosters,etc.

For two, you would need quite a large area.
Hope you enjoy them, I do.:D

ok... I am going to check that website for dog cages too then. I am sooooo excited!! I should get a pic of them emailed to me by tomorrow so I will post them here for you!!!

I think it is really good that you are doing your research but I have seen that cage and it wouldn't be big enough for one Dwarf Lop let alone two. Dwarf lops are bigger than Mini's and not as small as people think.

I have an indoor cage that's 120cm wide x 60cm deep x 46cm high for one mini lop who also has free run of a room. I realise it is more expensive (£99) but you will be wasting your money if you buy the other one as they will soon outgrow it.

Hope that helps,

K x

The softest, most affectionate bunnies weve had have been dwarf lops:) I adore them. You will too because everyone does!:love:

And yeah id get a bigger cage, it might seem ok when theyre babies but even just at night itll be such a squish when theyre older, you might not be able to close the door! We have something similar for Luna but shes a tiny rabbit and gets full run of the house (and only because shes so minute she can squeeze through doggie cages!)

Id recommend dog crates too for your average dwarf lops!

Good luck, how exciting!

back again!

I have pretty much settled now (have my heart set on it and think its the best choice all around) on this http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/rodents/cages/rabbit_hutches/outback_hutches/95233#more

I am so excited!! This hutch will be indoors though by the way. I simply dont have room for a dog kennel - my house is 550 years old and space is at a premium!!! But I am happy for them to have free run over the whole house the hutch is just for settling in, sleepy time and if we are away. (Which is very very very rare!) I hope you all like it! :love:

back again!

I have pretty much settled now (have my heart set on it and think its the best choice all around) on this http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/rodents/cages/rabbit_hutches/outback_hutches/95233#more

I am so excited!! This hutch will be indoors though by the way. I simply dont have room for a dog kennel - my house is 550 years old and space is at a premium!!! But I am happy for them to have free run over the whole house the hutch is just for settling in, sleepy time and if we are away. (Which is very very very rare!) I hope you all like it! :love:

Hi,

Judging by the measurements the hutch isn't even 3 1/2 feet in length. Regardless of whether it's only for sleepy time and when you are away, the rabbits could be shut in there for 10 maybe more hours per day.

I'm sorry, but you seriously need to rethink where you're going to keep them.

Good luck.

i bought a dog crate on ebay for 12 quid ok so i had to go collect it and stuff but its great. my buns are outdoors but i bring them in in cold weather vet ops...etc and iv ffound it briliant for when i have buns come to stay...seems to occour more than i realised lol....still i definatly recoomend it even if its only at night.... thing is if the house is bunny proofed when you are home...then it will be bunny proofed when you not there i would just let them be free at night with a small area they can get to as their home say a 4ft hutch or dog crate so they have a base to go to....this would give them plenty of space if you didnt lock them in and they were free to come and go at night and day into house...as i said if its safe for them while you are there...it should be safe when you not there.good luck x

Back