• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice on Castration please

hayleyhelen

Alpha Buck
Hi,
I have recently taken in 3 rabbits, 2 girls and a boy. They are 12 weeks old and from the same litter, they have been housed together since birth. The boy is booked in for castration on wednesday but I am a little worried about him being away from the girls. Would the reintroduction be less of a problem with them being from the same litter? I understand that i'm to keep them housed seperately for 4 weeks following castration, but nearby so that they can see and smell one and other.
Would you suggest that I take the girls to the vets for the day with him?

Would really appreciate any advice. xxx

To be honest, I would seperate them now to be on the safe side as buns can get pregnant at a very young age. I have never had problems with re-introducing after neutering, you just have to take things slowly and do the introductions on neutral territory.

I agree with the above post. I would keep the sexes apart for now until both are neutered and then re-introduce them. x

i would take the boy away now as it has been known for "things to start happening" even at this young age. once neutered, he still is fertile and needs to be kept away from the girls for at least four weeks. he can then be reintroduced to the girls on neutral territory and hopefully they will bond back together.will you be getting the girls spayed at all?

Yes, I have definate plans to get the girls spayed but cant afford to do them all now, the boy is the priority. I have to pay for my driving test next week and am a uni student so not so flush! Luckily my partner is a wonderful joiner who is building me a super hutch and run for free!

Yes, I have definate plans to get the girls spayed but cant afford to do them all now, the boy is the priority. I have to pay for my driving test next week and am a uni student so not so flush! Luckily my partner is a wonderful joiner who is building me a super hutch and run for free!

Good idea to get the boy done first and the girls later. Convenient partner too :D would like to see some pics when built!

Good luck on your driving test btw, my bro passed 5th time :shock: about time really as his theory would have ran out in August :lol:

Thank you, it will be my first one! Never really interested in it when i was younger. I will certainly be posting some photos, i'm going to save the new (as yet unbuilt) hutch for when I reintroduce them following the seperation. For now they are in two seperate hutches but can see and smell each other, they had a nice run round the garden together earlier! Was amazing fun watching them play!

Thank you, it will be my first one! Never really interested in it when i was younger. I will certainly be posting some photos, i'm going to save the new (as yet unbuilt) hutch for when I reintroduce them following the seperation. For now they are in two seperate hutches but can see and smell each other, they had a nice run round the garden together earlier! Was amazing fun watching them play!

That's what my two are like atm also, they're in seperate hutches and can see and smell each other :) I think my boy's getting a bit hormonal now - no spraying yet, but a bit of nose bonking. Bless!

If you need any help with the photos let us know, it took me a bit of time to get the hang of it :)

Back