• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Those of you with "bunservatories" - update, anyone got any extension ideas?

Rallybunny

Warren Veteran
Those of you with "bunservatories" - update, anyone got any extension ideas?

Those of you who house your house buns in a conservatory, how hot does the conservatory get and how do you keep the room / the bun cool? Just wondering, as thinking about extension options for our house. :)

Last edited:
Ooooooooh how exciting hun! Extending your house will be wicked :D

Hope you are ok havent spoken to you for a while x

Tinkerbell only sleeps in the conservatory so it's fine at night time. BUT, during the day when the sun is shining it gets absolutely boiling even with the door and windows open.

Which way does your garden face? If you are North, it shouldn't get too hot but any other direction and it will probably boil.

Only solution is blinds at the windows and the roof and a ceiling fan.

I wouldn't recommend one as a place to live in ... we have thermal controlled glazing which is supposed to keep too much sun out and central heating in and although it is a lot better then my parents and my friends it still gets too hot ... I can literally cook my washing in there.

Air conditioning would be your best option as a fan just moves the hot air around giving you a cooler impression but not really lowering the temp.

K x

My two housebuns sleep in the kitchen/porch on a night but in the day they usually make their way into their conservatory. They love lying around in there but the double doors are always open and they windows are also open.

Hmmm, will maybe have to have a rethink then. :?

This is our house - can anyone think where we could put a room? Not huge, just somewhere for Evo / an office, so this 2nd bedroom can go back to being a bedroom?? Can't go to the side of the garage, as it's attached to our neighbours', or to the other side, where the path is.

house.jpg

yo ucan make the extension with planning permission out of wood and bricks this way it doesnt get to hot. brick up the floor(lay foundations) and then put wooden panels in across the frame so its more like a giant shed than a conservatory.

our south facing one hits 140 degrees!! no bunny in there though.

You can get a small one story extension done without planning permission. I think it is under 75 cubic feet but i wouldn't bet my life on it. you will still need buildings regs. Roughly estimate for a proper extension £1 - 2k per meter square.

or if you're in a house & you've got a good roof you can do a loft extension for about 25k which could add 1 - 2 bedrooms to the house and an ensuite....

Last edited:
our buns live in the conservatory, and it does get really hot however theyve got plenty of cold water and theres always a breeze due to door and window being open i have also considered putting a desktop fan in there facing their hutch, also i used the cold waterbottle technique

A conservatory would be very hot if it were in a south facing garden but should be fine in a North facing one.

How about a summer house in the garden instead?

Spend an absolute fortune hun and go 2nd storey :lol:

Where were you going to have the conservatory? x

As a sort of big porch by the front door.

It's really hard cos of the way the hall is in the middle - we'd have to make one of the other rooms smaller to get to the extension. :roll:

Extending your house for the rabbit, thats commitment and a very expensive hutch :lol:

How big is the garage? Is there anyway of splitting it in 2?

Back