• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Please forgive me if this is the wrong place (I am new here)

senatorvass

Warren Scout
Hi all! Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this I am new to this forum!

I was just wondering if I could post here asking if someone had an unwanted home for 2 bunnies to live in that I could buy from them? I am going to get 2 house rabbits but I would like a hutch (indoor) or dog kennel for them to have some quiet time indoors where they can just sort of be in their own castle! I am on a tight budget (but I CAN afford the rabbits, I am training to be a childminder) so I am looking for a bargain.

Ideally I would have this all done and dusted by the 8 August as I would like to give the bunnies to my son as his birthday present. Any pointers on where to find something appropriate or if anyone has anything they no longer need and would like to sell would be much appreciated. I am in Coggeshall in Essex and would be happy to drive to pick something up.

Many thanks for reading. :)

Have you tried Ebay for dog crates? Many people use these for indoor cages, adding a shelf in and they are much cheaper on there.
Like this:
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=52032

You'd need a 42 inch one, preferably 48 inches for small/medium bunnies and they'd need lots of time out.

Also, can I suggest you try the rescue centres on Rabbit Rehome for your two housebunnies?
http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/

Edit: Welcome by the way :wave:

Hi and welcome to forum!!! :wave:

How old is your son? Does he realise that bunnies can be quite hard work! Have a look on our forums for help and advice on feeding, housing and general bunny care, there is a wealth of experience here.

Bunnies can take alot more work than newbies think! :lol: You have to come to right place for help though.

Good luck, hope you find your perfect buns:) I would advise a local rescue shelter, you can pick up some adorable pairs. Was going to PM you as we have a load of dog crates going unused but youre a bit far from me

:wave:

I will be doing all the care for the bunnies. My son is going to be 2 in August (please though really he REALLY wants them) he can speak at the level of a 3 or 4 year old and has an amazing memory and he talks about wanting his own bunnies all the time. He is ever so gentle with them and all animals for that matter. We have raised him to be (we are vegetarian and really really love animals) he calls our cats "Brother" and "Sister" :)

I have a lovely picture of Alex with a rabbit taken last week but I cant work out how to attach it to my post, then you would see what a natural he is with animals!

I have been doing massive amounts of research so am getting an idea for how much hard work they are and I am home all the time and happy to do it.

Am looking at the rabbits rehome site now!

Please feel free to give me any advice you think would be useful I am very eager to learn how to be a bunny mama and know I need some guidance from those more experienced!

Aw your son sounds adorable!

Do you know the basics about pelleted food, hay, vaccinations etc? (before we bombard you with info you already know!)

Were in Cheltenham, so quite a way! If you can make it here wed be happy to give you a crate for your little boys bunnies:) Sounds ever so sweet (although for the petrol you could probably get one second hand anyway)

My advice will probably sound a bid morbid but i dont mean it that way. Its to be prepared for vets bills and health issues. Most rabbits of course are fine but we learnt the hard way how fragile they are and how easily they can succumb to disease, stress etc and go downhill so quickly, so keep your eyes out, some money put by for the vets and a little first aid kit, just incase. If wed have been that prepared it wouldnt have hit so hard. Sorry to worry so early on! Honestly the vast majority of the time keeping rabbits is wonderful

Otherwise, enjoy them! Im assuming you know the basics like neutering etc from your research

Youll be looking at the rehome sites for ages, so many gorgeous buns:love:

thanks mandy!

I do not know all the basics so bombard away!! Anyway the stuff I do know might not be accurate so I am willing to learn more!

I am currently phoning around looking for 2 bonded bunnies. :)

thanks mandy!

I do not know all the basics so bombard away!! Anyway the stuff I do know might not be accurate so I am willing to learn more!

I am currently phoning around looking for 2 bonded bunnies. :)

yes definatly your best bet is to get from a rescue center(or rr) look in the rabbits in need section on here for some loverly buns.

major basic top 10 wish id been told when i first got a rabbit

1. rabbits can be litter trained and bonded but need to be neutered ad vaccs( if you get from a rescue they will ask for a donation which will have covered this cost already neuter is normally between 50-99 pounds per bun and vaccs for this year are usually done myxi and vhd both are around 15-20 pounds.... and the donation will be around 20 per bun usually some may ask more if they have had a lot of medical treatment etc.

2. rabbits need stimulation.- toys are a must...by this i dont mean all the expensiv toys in the shops most buns love cheap toys mine do... a cardboard tube with a bit of carrot in the middle they have to toss to get at, a tunnel made of boxes a box full of hay or a diggin box...stuff to chew... etc

3, unnetered females 85%die of uterine cancer if not neutered by age of 4

4. rabbits live between 8-14years

5. buns can live outdoors or indoors provided the area is rabbit proof and fox proofed(as much as possible)

6.buns like to hide if in pain so keep n eye on poo and eating to tell whats up

7.buns not eating=major concern... they must eat if not eaten in 24hrs get to a vet asap

8.rabbit savvy vets who know what they are doing are hard to come by ask everyone on here they can reccommend a good one...adn yes sometimes it changes life or death in a rabbits vet treatment

9.rabbits hate being picked up but they loved to be stroked (well most of them!)

10 finally rabbits need hay 24/7 and dont buy the dodgey pet shop stuff get good quality hay else they wont eat it! and a rabbit pellets are better for them a good food stops selective feeding and has a high fibre content (excel, science selective, oxbow bunny basics,allen and page etc) a fibre content should be above 16%

finally good luck and enjoy your buns!i bought a dog crate on ebay for 12 quid its been invaluable tho mine are outdoor buns means they can come in in cold weather when ill and if want to go to mums they come with us and bring along the dog crate!

maxiandscottandbuns - I dont know where Cheltenham is :oops: I know the name but dont know where it is. I am from America have lived here 7 1/2 years (my husband is English, Alex and I have duel nationality)

bunlover - thanks very much for all the information!! Answered a lot of questions for me.

I have found some bunnies through the RSPCA - they would be 3 months old when I got them the 8 August. Is that a good age to adopt? They are charging £25 for them (vaccinated) nuetering would be extra (£40) is that the going rate? These bunnies are Dwarf lops.

Can anyone explain to me how to post a pic of Alex with a bunny?

maxiandscottandbuns - I dont know where Cheltenham is :oops: I know the name but dont know where it is. I am from America have lived here 7 1/2 years (my husband is English, Alex and I have duel nationality)

bunlover - thanks very much for all the information!! Answered a lot of questions for me.

I have found some bunnies through the RSPCA - they would be 3 months old when I got them the 8 August. Is that a good age to adopt? They are charging £25 for them (vaccinated) nuetering would be extra (£40) is that the going rate? These bunnies are Dwarf lops.

Can anyone explain to me how to post a pic of Alex with a bunny?

you need to make an account on photobucket (if you dont already have on) upload the pic the your account, and post the link here. please do, he sounds adorable :)

trying this...

photo

did it work???

clutterydrawer, thanks so much!! Hope this works I need to learn how to do it on my own!! I feel as bad as my Mother! :D:?:?

IMAG5154.JPG

Back