• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Charlie has an abscess

lotsofsmoggies

Mama Doe
I feel really bad. I feel like a useless Mum. He was a bit quiet yesterday but still eating and drinking ok so thought he might just having a grumpy day (he's known for these). But today I actually took the time to give him the once over and noticed his jaw didn't look 'right'. He has a ping pong size abscess on his jaw. :( How on earth have I not noticed that before? I am so evil I feel really guilty.

He is booked in at 9:15 tomorrow at the vets. What could I expect? I've read the FAQ on teeth and abscesses. And I've never cared for a 'ill' bunny before. I'm going to be panicing.

He's running around the living room like nothing is wrong. Poor baby.

Don't feel guilty. I had a rabbit last year with an abcess on his jaw, my vet managed to cut it all out and he was fine. she had had to cut him all the way under his chin as it was quite big. She had left drains in so I could but baytril directly into the drains so it was getting to the infection.
I know it is aworry but I am sure he will be ok:D

I'm sure your not a useless mum and you have him booked in at the vets so that's the right thing to do.
Sometimes these things can be missed if they are not obvious.
I hope all goes well tomorrow
Good Luck x

Please don't beat yourself up about this. According to our vet abscesses can appear very suddenly. I felt bad when I found an abscess on one of my bunnies but it had literally come up overnight.

Abscesses are nasty and difficult to treat but it's not impossible. Benny was cured of a major jaw abscess which kept reappearing and Daisy has three facial abscesses at the moment but they have almost completely disappeared thanks to a great vet, an operation and strong meds. You wouldn't think there was anything wrong with her to look at her now.

There are lots of other people who've treated rabbits with abscesses on this forum so I'm sure there will be plenty of advice.

Please let us know how you get on at the vets.

Vickie

:wave:having had a bun with recurrent abscesses i can say they do come up overnight sometimes...the main thing is that you are going to the vet to get treatment.abscesses can be fixed but once buns have the abscess virus in their body they will keep getting them so its essential to keep you eyes out for any change in your bun as they can be in different places each time.
our bun jess had one in her dewlap and 2 in her jaw, both were treated and fixed .although the abscess had eaten into her jaw and she had no front teeth ,bottom left teeth or top left so her food was chopped really well to help her eat.the main thing is to make sure they eat...if they dont eat anything normal (mix,hay,greens treats) then try baby food(organic with as little added to it as poss).jess would eat mashed banana, shredded wheat, weetabix, human biccies (digestives,rich tea, nice type ones) raisins ,that kind of thing.
this isnt a nice time when a bun is ill but with plenty of info and vet help you and bun can see the light at the end of the tunnel
good luck and please pm me if you want to talk or ask anything
kellie

Abcesses can appear very suddenly. Flopsy had an abcess on his side. He was fine one evening then the next morning there was a huge lump there! You often can't spot them until they get really big. He had to go under general anaesthetic and have it cut out - it was very stressful! But he was absolutely fine afterwards. I'm sure your bun will be ok.

bobby and Ruby both had abcesses at the same time, and I thought it was something I'd done! Don't feel guilty - you've spotted it and have sought treatment.
Ruby had an abcess on her eyelid, which cleared up very quickly and hasn't come back.
Bobby has a jaw abcess (spotted in November last year), and he still has it and it will always be there (sadly it has gone into the bone), but he is managing very well. It was removed and packed with anaesthetic beads the first time it was treated, adn has been drained about 5 times whilst he has been awake. The last time was about 2 months ago.
As it's on his jaw, he has had a little trouble eating and lost a bit of weight, but he is slowly regaining it. He won't ever be well again, but the abcess doesn't seem to bother him that much.
Hope everything went well at the vet for you.

Back