• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vhd - Cylap / Lapinjet

Hello Again
Started another thread - sorry

My Boys are going for their VHD jab in just under 2 weeks time.
Firstly, can someone explain why they have this jab.
I just know they have to have it, but not sure why?
Obviously it's to protect them. But from What?

Secondly, Parsnipbun strarted a thread yesterday about CYLAP and LAPINJET.
Are these 2 different compositions that can be used to inject and protect them and if so, should I be asking my vet what he uses?
What are the pros and Cons to both sorts. It sounds like it is a financial and economic decision that vets are taking, when choosing the vaccine.

Please help explain - thank You

Here is some info about VHD :
http://www.houserabbit.co.uk/resources/content/info-sheets/VHD_UK.htm

The CYLAP Vaccine was the first to be licenced for Rabbits. It can be given from 10 weeks of age and onset of immunity is established 21 days after vaccination
There-after an annual booster is required.
http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Fort_Dodge_Animal_Health/Cylap/-44934.html

The LAPINJECT Vaccine is newer to the market. It can be given from 5 weeks of age and onset of immunity is 6 days post vaccination.
There-after an annual booster is required
http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/CEVA_Animal_Health_Ltd/Lapinject_VHD/-42508.html

Thanks Jacks Jane -I will call the vet and see what he uses.

From the posts I have read, it seems to be the CYLAP that could cause a problem with the limp.

If the vet uses Lapinjet, are there any side effects I should look out for that?

Sorry for so many questions, but I want to be prepared for all eventualities.

(I do hope I stop worrying soon - I'm never neurotic about anything!! Pesky rabbits!!!!:love:

Thanks Jacks Jane -I will call the vet and see what he uses.

From the posts I have read, it seems to be the CYLAP that could cause a problem with the limp.

If the vet uses Lapinjet, are there any side effects I should look out for that?

Sorry for so many questions, but I want to be prepared for all eventualities.

(I do hope I stop worrying soon - I'm never neurotic about anything!! Pesky rabbits!!!!:love:

Your Bun may be a bit off colour for 24 hours- ie quiet and perhaps not eating as much as normal. But the Bun should not stop eating altogether. They normally return back to their normal self after 24 hours. Some Buns may get a local skin reaction at the site of the vaccination. The risk of this happening can be reduced if the Vet uses a new needle from the one used to draw up the vaccine dose and by massaging the vaccination site for a couple of minutes after the vaccine has been administered.

Janex

Back