• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

myxoma virus.

Luciuslop

Alpha Buck
Does anyone know if the myxoma virus that causes myxamatosis has been genetically altered in a lab by man ? I know that the mxyoma virus is part of the Poxvirus community, which occurs naturally, but have been unable to find any information that clarifies whether it is the myxoma in its naturally occurring state that causes the disease.

Does anyone know if the myxoma virus that causes myxamatosis has been genetically altered in a lab by man ? I know that the mxyoma virus is part of the Poxvirus community, which occurs naturally, but have been unable to find any information that clarifies whether it is the myxoma in its naturally occurring state that causes the disease.

I was always under the impression that it has been genetically altered...

I've never heard of it being altered. I think they just imported it to countries by transporting sick bunnies and releasing them :evil:

I had a ' discussion ' with someone about this and this person swears the virus was given to rabbits in its unaltered state. I really want to find out more to prove or disprove the theory.

Unfortunately you'll have a hard time proving that it didn't happen. The best you can do is earch thoroughly and if you can find any sources that say it was done then you will have to conclued that it wasn't.

Back