• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

how long to heal after nueter?

leoandoliver

Young Bun
My bunnies are going in for their ops on Friday. How long will it take for them to heal? Should I expect or ask for pain meds? Should I limit their free run time outside of the cage or keep them just confined for a few days? Sorry for all the questions! Just one more.......( or two...)How long should I wait until I try to rebond them? They are is side by side cages that I swap every other day and alternate who is in the play space( bedroom and bathroom). They always kiss each other thru the cage and both go upstairs so they can sleep closest to each other thru the mesh. One person wrote a while back that they should go to the vet together and recover together......Does this mean the same carrier and then placed back in the same cage while recovery even though they have been spearated for two months??( We were told Ollie was a girl, which is why we spearated, then found testicles last week!) Any advice would be helpful! I thought I did all my research and am now confusing my self!
Thanks!!!

So you have 2 Bucks ?

A castrate is less invasive than a spay and the Bun is usually back to normal within 24 hours. The surgical wound should be tiny and healed inside and out within a week. They can return to normal exercise after 2-3 days. Pain relief is seldom needed in a straightforward castrate but it might be worth asking for a dose 'just in case'.

There may be some swelling and bruising of the testicles but this should subside within a few days. Any sign of bleeding or a lump around the wound ( a very rare complication ) requires Veterinary attention.

As they have been seperated for 2 months I would not put them together until they have both recovered from their op'. You could then attempt bonding in 100% neutral territory. But 2 Bucks will be a bonding challenge !!

Janex
:)

Thanks for the strightforward advice! I will get a second carrier today! I am a little nervous about taking them in but my vet did my old female 25 years ago and still does about 3 a week so i guess they are in good hands. I am guessing I should wait a couple of weeks for the bonding attempt until they are not only healed but maybe until the horomones have dies down? Neither are aggressive and lived together until they were almost 12 weeks so I am hoping they will get back together again.

I think its about 6-8 weeks before all hormones are gone completely. Bucks generally recover much quicker than females as its not such an invasive op. The most important thing to remember is not to let them jump on things for a few days afterwards incase the tear the wound. I know alot of people on here have found rabbits rebound quicker in the company of their companion but my preference is to give them a couple of days rest on their own, largely as that way its easier to monitor if they've eaten / pooped etc. In any case as yours are not bonded it may stress them out so I'd def leave them seperate.

update......

Leo and Ollies ops went great and they seem to be recovering nicely. They both are eating, drinking, peeing and pooing as usual. I have confined them to thier cages and let them use a small area of our long bathroom to hop about a bit, but there is nothing to jump on in there. How long before i can resume thier regular playtime in our bedroom? We can remove items that they can jump on.( they have several large boxes for hopping onto and this is the only way Ollie can get up on the bed since it is really high) We have never let Leo on the bed as he is naughtier and likes to bite everything. I guess we will wait several more weeks to attempt to bond! Wish us luck on that!

Back