PDA

View Full Version : rabbits teeth

qwertyuiop
09-07-2008, 11:20 PM
i have a 3 month old baby rabbit with a genetic history of dodgy teeth. his jaw is mis-aligned making his bottom jaw slightly to the left of the upper jaw. so far his teeth seem to be wearing down an adequate amount but when i checked his teeth today he seems to have 2 very small teeth behind his top teeth, i have never heard of this before, is it normal? i have another baby and she seems to have the same however much shorter. i don't know if i am just being thick or whether this is normal??

Bunnyaddict
09-07-2008, 11:44 PM
Yep this is completely normal! I was shocked when I first realised this, but apparently rabbits actually have 6 incisors - 2 on the bottom & 4 on the top (the 2 little peg ones being behind the front incisors). Hope this helps.

qwertyuiop
10-07-2008, 07:58 AM
oh good, thanks! do you know roughly how long theyre supposed to be?!

Happy Hopping
10-07-2008, 08:30 AM
second maxillary incisors, or peg teeth

Bunnyaddict
10-07-2008, 04:44 PM
oh good, thanks! do you know roughly how long theyre supposed to be?!

I don't know unfortunately, I think they are supposed to be shorter than their main top incisors, but not sure.

rabbitmum
12-07-2008, 12:21 AM
:wave: so long as they are shorter than the ones at the front...when our french lop had her two front teeth removed those peg ones would grow but snap off as soon as they got a couple of mm long so they shouldnt cause a problem!
its amazing that every day we see them and it can be a long time before we notice something that was there all the time:oops: