• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What to take for severe allergies to hay/rabbits

montyflossy

Alpha Buck
We currently have a special needs bun living indoors. My partner is extremely allergic to the hay and the fur (its not just the hay as people often suggest as he is allergic to most furries)

Due to the buns problem its crucial he remains indoors at the moment.

What do other people with severe allergies use?

Many thanks its a bit desperate. :cry:

anti-histimines (sp?) usually work, if you take the tablet all the time as a preventer. My two are house buns and I have asthma - the nurse gave me a preventer inhaler and my asthma is a lot better (touch wood:D).
keep hoovering each day to keep on top of the airborne fur etc
make sure gloves are worn or hands are washed immediately after touching the bun
shutting door to the bedroom and other room your partner is regularly in
sorry if this sounds like the obvious :oops: but I find with allergies prevention is always better than cure.

HOpe bun gets better soon
x

first off i would recommend him seeing his doctor..who may be able to advise better....

but personally i take..telfast antihistamines...beconase allergy nasal spray....opticrom allergy eye drops for 3 months..or cheap soothing eye drops. Also i have asthma inhalers...one preventer and one reliever..
i am no where near as allergic to my bunnies as my lovley kitty kats..salem makes me sneeze my head off! and eyes stream etc...thats when ehs cuddling me at night or whenever im in bed eg ill.
i do find i am more allergic to my buns if like with ast buns i use..sawdust/woodshavings/meadow hay/..now i know not to use the wood stuff anymore form way back...but i find even megazorb makes me bad!:shock:
i use bio catolet paper litter granules..with some russell rabbit bedding on top with a handful of timmy hay 2nd cut if i can get it on the end of the tray.
it does actually make a difference what your bun sleeps in etc as to how bad the allergic reaction gets!
if it is possible invest in an air purifier..depending on the size of your room they start at £20! thats what we need right now...youd be horrified at how thick the dust gets when youve bene ill for a while:shock:

i do hope you ifnd a solution but to be honest maybe one of those huge air purifiers will be the only thing that helps.

Is it possible to keep the rabbit in a room where he doesn't have to go?

I have hay allergy...but its very minor so I can sleep well with only a small dose of hay in my bedroom (which is enough for my rabbit to last the night..) so I can't say much about severe allergies...

I have asthma and ended up in hospital a couple of months ago with what i thought was viral type throat thing, that effected my asthma severly!

Whilst in hospital they done an skin ***** allergy test!

Now i knew i was allergic to pollen and small furies but not to the extent the test showed

I highly allergic to grass pollen and bunny's which is why a come up in rashes, sneeze and lungs inflamed when i give bunnie new hay or sweep up the hay field she leaves for us just outside her her crate door

Apart from inhalers for asthmatics - if he re-acts with nomal allerfy i.e sneezing, itching and bunged up nose then Neo-Clarityn is good but can only get this from docs as far as I know but you can buy the weaker Clarityn over the counter but it costs a bomb!:)

Works wonders for me most of the time!

I have severe allergies to all furries but i take antihistamines that keep it in check. The one that works for me is Zirtek - which has the active ingredient citirizine hydrochloride (my spellings of these may be a bit off!) its the only one that works for me, whereas my mum take Clarityn which is loratidine i think, so it may take a bit of trial and error in finding the antihisitimine with the right active ingredient in it for your OH.
I have also taken in the past as someone has mentioned, beconase nasal spray to stop the sneezing and streaming nose, as well as eye drops, cant remember what they're called now!
Does your OH have asthma or does the allergy trigger asthma too?
If so a ventolin inhaler which is a reliever would treat any tightness in the chest but a preventative (I have seretide) inhaler is also very effective at lessening a reaction. It may be worth your OH going to the docs and getting advice and also a skin test to maybe find out if it is hay or bunny or both etc.
I am highly allergic to furries, so much so that i was advised by a consultant not to have pets. But I cant imagine life without them, it would be just wrong! So I take antihistimines, prob more long term than is advisable, but it works for me!
SO there is hope for your OH it can be managed in most cases I think, good luck x

Back