• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bleach and White Vinegar

Ashley

Alpha Buck
Can you give me advice regarding dilution. I've read that both are regularly used for cleaning rabbit housing. I need to clean a 6ftx 8ft shed before my bunnies come home from their bonding holiday. Also should i rinse after it has dried?

Many thanks

Personally I'd stay away from bleach; or if you do use it rinse it very thoroughly afterwards.

When I clean my three's litter tray I use baking soda (to remove crusty pee!), then I spray a mix of around 90% vinegar, 10% water & some tea tree & citronella essential oils.

Seen as your buns are coming back after being bonded I wouldn't dilute it much more than about 80/20 vinegar/H2O.

i never use bleach, i use vinager with lemon diluted with water in a spray gun, i make sure the cage is completely brushed out i leave it to dry then spray and leave that to dry then put paper and hay down throughout, i have sawdust but having long haired not a good idea :lol:

I use a 50 : 50 vinegar water solution after using my indoor trays between use. I do use milton tablets which containes the same substance as bleach to clean out my hutches at times, however they must be thoroughly dried before use, and well ventilated. The problem with bleach is the chlorine gas it gives off which can affect the breathing of all animals and this is why it is really important to allow it to dry and air after use.

If you are cleaning out ready for new occupants and to remove old smells vinegar and water will be fine.

:shock::shock::shock: i use bleach.. is paper towel drying the litter trays dangerous then ????

:shock::shock::shock: i use bleach.. is paper towel drying the litter trays dangerous then ????

Paper towels generally aren't full of chemicals.

To semi-quote Method & Gorgeously Green: things like bleach smell so bad as in nature it would be a warning to not smell them; a bit like poisonous lizards being bright colours.

Paper towels generally aren't full of chemicals.

To semi-quote Method & Gorgeously Green: things like bleach smell so bad as in nature it would be a warning to not smell them; a bit like poisonous lizards being bright colours.

when ive rinsed i dont smell bleach.... do i need to let them dry naturally or is it ok to use paper towels to dry them? i didnt ask that very well did i :oops:
long day at work :(

when ive rinsed i dont smell bleach.... do i need to let them dry naturally or is it ok to use paper towels to dry them? i didnt ask that very well did i :oops:
long day at work :(

That's a tough one; I'd say towel-dry, but then let them air out for half an hour or so to make sure they're bone dry? But that's just a guess :?

bleach is fine on litter trays and anything non-porous as long as you rinse well afterwards.

You can buy vinegar/water ready mixed in Wilkos cleaning dept...much easier (if more expensive) than doing it yourself

That's a tough one; I'd say towel-dry, but then let them air out for half an hour or so to make sure they're bone dry? But that's just a guess :?

think i might have to sleep on this one... i know that washin up liquid wasnt touching the wee stains so i needed summat stronger, now im worried im damagin little lungs :?

think i might have to sleep on this one... i know that washin up liquid wasnt touching the wee stains so i needed summat stronger, now im worried im damagin little lungs :?

Bicarbonate of soda (I thinkm, it's late! :lol:) & vinegar - it makes a fizzy reaction & is great for almost everything :lol:

buy water and vinegar ready mixed:shock::shock::shock: you are kidding me, took me a while to understand ready made mashed potato, chopped onions etc, as long as only elder and those whose hands cant do it to make,

buy water and vinegar ready mixed:shock::shock::shock: you are kidding me, took me a while to understand ready made mashed potato, chopped onions etc, as long as only elder and those whose hands cant do it to make,

It's not quite as lazy as it sounds...it has soap in it too to aid cleaning :oops:

I put white vinegar in B's plastic base to cage[neat],leave it for a min or so then wipe down the crusty areas,which have normally disolved anyway,then tip boiling water over it all to rinse,tip away and dry.Probably not necessary but is my way of doing things.:)

It depends what you are worried about. If it's just getting rid of wee calcium & giving a quick spruce up then vinager is fine but if you have lots of bunnys, take in fosters and so on, vinegar isn't going to cut it as a cleaner as it isn't tough enough to kill and germs, parasites or infections like EC or coccidia. If you might get into contact with any of those you have to use something stronger like bleech, Jeyes fluid or virkon which have to be well rinsed & dried before bunnys can start running on them.

I would probably use bleach in a 10% solution as you are doing a big spring clean out and see how you feel after that.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your replies.

As it is vacant so to speak, i will bleach (10%) to sanitise and then wash with vinegar mix to remove smells.

Just had a call from rescue to say they can come home tomorrow so i'd better hurry up!!

Back