• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How much does it cost you...

Indiechic

Wise Old Thumper
on average, the upkeep of your buns?

this includes vet bills...

im collating this for a friend who wants a rab rab... im not trying to put her off but she doesn't quite realise x

I can honestly say that if i had known how expensive bunnies were I would not have taken on the number that I have. Three of my bunnies are dental buns and they cost me approx 50 a month, insurance is 50 a month, food is £20 every six weeks for a bag of SS, I spend £16 a month on hay which has come from baled hay, £10 for litter and £40 a month on veg...
so that comes to approx 190 a month....:shock: when you add it up that's quite a shock!! I didn't even realise it came to that :shock::shock::shock::shock::shock:

I would prefer not to tot all mine up :shock: :shock: Bunnies as we know arent a cheap option ;)

It would frighten me to work it all out properly!

A rough estimate for 2 rabbits I'd say is:

£120 vaccinations for the year
£20 month on greens and pellets
£30 every 6 weeks on Dust Free Hay
£5-£10 month regular hay and megazorb
£15-£20 month toys

This does not include medical emergencies! I'd say I've probably spent at least £1000 on vets bills in the last 12 months (GI Stasis with Smokey and feet problems with Inky).

I think I'm going to do some budgeting... I dread to think how much Jane spends each month :shock:

i didn't even add vaccinations to my list....or the 120 it just cost me over two days for two of my buns... i'm going to try and claim some of that back from the insurance. Even with insurance i've had three bunnies have problems that the insurance wouldn't cover as they have been around £40 each time :? (in the last six months)

Last edited:
I think you need to aim the question at people with one or two buns. Those of us with lots of buns (I have 12 here ATM) probably pay less per bun because we can bulk buy stuff like pellets, litter and hay.

could i have a breakdown if you wouldn't mind??

xxx

Well, I work at a vets so I get discount on everything which means it won't give a true reflection of what it costs to own a rabbit...
I get 20% off insurance, so it comes to about £15 for the both of them
Woodshavings x 3 big bags a month = £6
Supa Forage x 3 bags a month = £6
Supa Herbage x 3 bags a month = £9
Greens = £9
Pellets = £1 or so...
Then toys/treats etc as well...
But as I said, that's all with discount, I get all stuff from a pet wholesaler so it's the price pet shops etc buy it in for (not retail price)
I reckon in the real world, it'd probably cost £75 a month to keep them

Well it has gone down alot because Noel is ALOT better.

It is about £120 a month still though.

The veggie bill is the highest because they eat veggies till they pop :lol:

I don't I dare really think about how much my brood cost :shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock: think I'd keel over with shock if I did :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:. Mind you they're worth every penny & more & I wouldn't change it for the world. Except to add a few more buns if I could afford it....................:lol:

i totalled it up once... and vowed never to think about it again... think it came to about £1300 a year for the two of em, not including set up costs or treats, and ralph costs over £600

i spend well over £2000 a year on my five pets :shock:

eta - this doesnt include unexpected illnesses

Ok so I have 3 buns and they cost me in a year:

*Vaccinations: VHD once a year and Myxi twice a year: £120
* Hay: 5 bags of dustfree hay every 2 months: £200
* Pellets: burgess supa excell around 1 bag every 2 months: £40
* Veg: around £5 a week so thats: £260
* Litter tray: We use cardboard squares which is: £18 (would be ALOT more if using cat litter)

So not including the set-up costs of getting a large enough hutch/run, bedding and toys mine cost £638 so that just over £200 per bun and this does not include any vets fees for illness. So far in the last 7 days I have spent £280 in vets fees for 1 rabbit.

on avrage i spend around

£20 rabbit mix,treats
£30 on veggies
£20 on straw and hay
and then thers vet bills and cleaning sprays,shampoos and toys ect

well i spend about £90 on vaccinations a year for my 2 was spending £20 a month on hay but got a bale for about £3 which is lasting really well not sure on veges as i just get as and when and use the family ones too. although this is just a 'maintenance' type payments teegras neuter ended up over £100 as he got ill Duchess has dental costs although luckily not often duchess also had stasis plus toys set up cgae, litter trays, hay rack etc...sorry that wasnt much help was it :oops::lol:

bare minimum costs for my two are as follows:

£4 pellets p/month
£5 veg etc p/week (£20 p/m)
£7 megazorb p/m
8-10 bags hay p/m @ £2 each (£20:shock: hay)
£10 soft straw bedding p/m
£3 burns green oat hay p/m
£3 exel forage bag p/m
£30 vhd p/year
£60 myxi (2 jabs each) p/year
Total approx £70-100 per month (I think)

But this doesn;t include toys/incidentals/emergency vet fees etc......

(the megazorb, veg and hay are also used by Winston as well......so I suppose we could take a little bit off that for Winnie's quota!)

:oops::oops:*****goes off to count money in piggie bank:lol::lol:*****

Ok dont like to think about this too much but here we go

1.5 bags Allen page nat £12 pw
0.5 bag Rabbit Royale £5.50
Ready Grass about £1
Bale hay £3
Bales Shavings x 6 £30 (in process of changing to litter trays!!)
Veges £15 approx just use family veg so not sure
Bits and pieces approx £10

About £76 a week :shock: Wish i had not done this now lol!!!

Gulp! 5 buns

per year:
vaccs £170
random vet visits £250
Pelleted food £25
Hay (dust free) £250
Litter £120
Fresh food (greens etc) £100
Treats and toys £150

Total £1065

About £200 per bun then. Not too bad, but still more expensive than you'd think.
Plus this year we'll have to factor in boarding as well for when we go away.

Vaccinations were £116 - that was with a 10% discount from vet.

Hay - £20 every 3-4 months - baled farm hay
Hay - £20 a month - speciality hay from pet shop
Food - £20 a month - 2 10 kg bags of PAH nuggets
Veg - £10/5 a week ( some of it is just for them, some of it shared by everyone )
Treats/toys - £10/5 month.

And thats without adding on any extra vet bills that may arise unexpectedly or over the counter stuff like Infacol.

i have 9 bunnys but im selling my 4 boys soon..

but

18 pounds for a bulk bag of dried food

then about 20 each vet appontment

15 pounds on fresh food 6 pounds on large hay...

wow 53 pounds!!!!! :shock:

Back