• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Wild rabbits - the law

doorkeeper

Mama Doe
Does anyone know what the law is regarding keeping of wild rabbits?

Earlier in the year a cat left a baby rabbit in front of the rescue, which we managed to catch (I'm not sure how the cat knew where to leave it:?) The baby was scratched in several places but didn't appear too stressed by handling and was eating. Luckily we had a litter of similiar age into which I was able to put the wild baby. He could only have been 2 to 3 weeks old at the time, not old enough to release as he could not have survived without his mother who would not have taken him back anyway smelling of cat and human.

He thrived in the litter, snuggling in and feeding until he started to feel his hormones when he became rather agressive. My attempts to bond him with an interim babysitter failed. Yesterday I took him in to be neutered and one of the vet nurses said that it is illegal to keep him. I know of quite a few wild rabbits kept by people and have not been able to find anything on the net to verify what the nurse said. Of course it would be abhorant to keep a wild rabbit in a cage, but that is not my intention. I would actually like to release him but knowing how territorial rabbits are I doubt that he would fit into a wild group. Young males must always have a hard time of it and one smelling of humans and partially tame would be at a severe disadvantage to my mind. I don't think releasing him would be fair either.

So does anyone know what the law actually says about this? He is not the only baby wild rabbit we have had brought in this year, nor is he likely to be the last to survive in our care. I need to know what we ought to do. Sadly most that we get called about die before they even get here and the one Caroline brought in died the night after. But Pippin is a nice healthy young buck now. I would like to bond him into one of our groups and keep him in a large enclosure. But would that be illegal?

I have a wild bun who as lived with me for the past 2yrs now. An alsation had attacked him and he as a slightly damaged leg that will get worse as he gets older, my vets phoned and asked if I could take him. He bonded with one of my Giants and live very happily together. I would never think of turning him out and who in the right mind would know if it was a wild one or not:roll:

Keep him, (I would:oops:)

I have a wild bun who as lived with me for the past 2yrs now. An alsation had attacked him and he as a slightly damaged leg that will get worse as he gets older, my vets phoned and asked if I could take him. He bonded with one of my Giants and live very happily together. I would never think of turning him out and who in the right mind would know if it was a wild one or not:roll:

Keep him, (I would:oops:)

I would know:? And if he could be released I would feel guilty locking him in, but then if I release him and somthing kills him I'd hate it:cry: I suppose realisticly I wouldn't know but knowing rabbits the way I do I know they need to be social and I can't see that ever being a possibility for him in the wild.

He is such a dinky little thing, and he licks my hands:love::love:

Oliver is so domesticated now he wouldn't survive but he does still show some of the wild rabbit tendancy's. He was playing in the garden one night (it was about 9-30pmish and I was watching him out of the window, I said to David what is he watching, David said nothing, but he was, he reared up on his back legs and launched forward at one of my runs (no rabbits in them) and a rat was on the other side of it:shock:. That was it David was out like a shot saying 'right thats it Mr Rat isn't touching our Ollie so he went out and scooped Oliver up and put him in his shed. Nothing seems to phase him at all.

I would say even if you find out it is illegal..and I don't think it is:?..he would be considered unsuitable to release as has become domesticated..
so keep him!:D

How would anybody prove that it was a wild rabbit? Domesticated rabbits are exactly the same species to wild ones, so couldn't you just say that it's a domestic agouti coloured rabbit?

I spoke to the wildlife guy from Defra about this. It would actually be illegal to release them if they are tame under the abandonment of animals act because they are unlikely to survive in the wild. As rabbits are considered pests there are no special laws like some animals, eg birds of prey, to protect them.

Hi Lou!!:wave:

You can't let him go! I love him - he's sooo sweet.
You can def tell he's a wild bun though just from his appearance.
I'm off to do some research to see what I can find out..

My god no dont let him go but you asked about the law and I just thought to try and help. Good luck with him anyhow x

It wouldn't be right to release him, he wouldn't know what to do in the wild.

I agree with the say "he's an agouti colour domestic bun" if you're challenged though. My Dylan is the SPIT of a wildie, but neither of his parents were wildies.

Back