• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Midnight at the Vets :O( Aftercare Advice Please

lulu33098

Young Bun
Hi All
I took Midnight to the Vets this morning as he is going to be castrated. I'm quite worried about him :(
When I called the vets they said that the operation had taken longer than expected and that they would get a vet nurse to call me as soon as they were free.
I hope he's ok.
Does anyone know if they need any specific aftercare that the vets might not mention? The nurse did reccomend that I keep him in tonight which I can do. Do I keep him on the carpet? I don't think he likes the kitchen floor which is laminate as he slips but I think he might eat the carpet?!

Hi All
I took Midnight to the Vets this morning as he is going to be castrated. I'm quite worried about him :(
When I called the vets they said that the operation had taken longer than expected and that they would get a vet nurse to call me as soon as they were free.
I hope he's ok.
Does anyone know if they need any specific aftercare that the vets might not mention? The nurse did reccomend that I keep him in tonight which I can do. Do I keep him on the carpet? I don't think he likes the kitchen floor which is laminate as he slips but I think he might eat the carpet?!

Hope all goes well.

A lot of people use old towels to bed them on post-op. Something that can get soiled and easily washed. Just monitor what he eats and poos. Make sure you have some of his favourite foods to get him eating again.

Old towels over hay or an old duvet will be fine for him. It's really important tot keep them inside for at least 24 hours following a GA, personally, I usually keep them until they have had their post op check a couple of days later.

Make sure he is eating a drinking and keep an eye on the wound, if it becomes hot to touch or looks very swollen (it's bound to be a bit anyway) then you may need to take him back.

Update

Update - Vats called and Midnight is ok :O) I can collect him now.

Thanks for earlier advice. I have a few more questions.
Will I need to bring his run in? I have a fenel fold from pets at home so It would be pretty easy to bring in. I could keep him in the kitchen for a couple of days. I'll put it on a couple of big towels in and put in an open cat carrier for him to hide in.
Can I put hay in that for him to sleep in and eat?
Would it be ok to put him out on the grass for an hour tomorrow?
His litter is saw dust will this be ok? I'm thinking it might stick to him?

Sorry for all the questions!

Last edited:
Update - Vats called and Midnight is ok :O) I can collect him now.

Thanks for earlier advice. I have a few more questions.
Will I need to bring his run in? I have a fenel fold from pets at home so It would be pretty easy to bring in. I could keep him in the kitchen for a couple of days. I'll put it on a couple of big towels in and put in an open cat carrier for him to hide in.
Can I put hay in that for him to sleep in and eat?
Would it be ok to put him out on the grass for an hour tomorrow?
His litter is saw dust will this be ok? I'm thinking it might stick to him?

Sorry for all the questions!

No worries!

You could bring his run in if it's easier.
I wouldn't let him sleep on hay just yet (use some old towels over the hay or on thier own folded)but he can have a pile to eat.
I'm not sure I'd use sawdust tonight just in case it sticks, just newpaper should be ok.
You could pop him out for an hour if it's warm and dry(no damp grass) but I would supervise him because you don't want dirt/flies around his wound, so you will need to be quite careful (I am bit of a bunny hypochondriac though).

Thanks FriskyClover

I bought his run in and put it on a couple of towels. I also put a couple in a cat carrier so he could hide if he wanted to. I gave him a hand full of hay and his water bottle & some food. He hasn't really eaten much (just a small piece of dried fruit & a couple of raisins) but he's drunk plenty. I was concerned that he was not weeing as his litter box was dry but as I leant in to check I found a large yellow wet patch :lol: so I moved his litter tray this morning to cover it and he went in there this morning. He had done a small poo which was a bit soft but I'll give him another day & night inside and see how he goes.
He was really sweet last night & this morning coming over to be stroked and falling asleep in the process. I have paid him so much more attention since finding this site and I truly believe that it's been worth it. We now have a lovely bunny.
I can see now why people have house bunnies. It was quite cute watching him this morning whilst I ate my breakfast.

I just hope that in a few weeks when we try to find him a GF :love: it all goes well.

Thanks for all your advice :D

Glad he came through the op ok. He sounds a lovely bun.
It took Squidgy a while to recover (about 48 hours) from his neuter, and he liked to eat grass and dandelion leaves rather than his pellets and greens.

Glad he came through the op ok. He sounds a lovely bun.
It took Squidgy a while to recover (about 48 hours) from his neuter, and he liked to eat grass and dandelion leaves rather than his pellets and greens.

I did pop a hand full of grass in this morning before I left for work & a broccoli stalk. I think I'll pop home at lunch time to check on him. I don't want to speak to soon but I am so relieved to have him home. I checked his wound this morning and it looked fine.
Silly question but where could I find dandelion leaves? can they eat the whole thing? I don't have any in my garden and I don't thint my gardener would be impressed if I put some in :lol: I supose I could try to contain them in a small patch on the rabbits garden? Can you buy seeds?

I notice that the advice is to bring a rabbit indoors for 24 hours following castration. I have just taken 3 rabbits in, a boy and 2 girls. The boy is booked in for castration on wednesday and I was told that to keep his housed seperatly from the girls but still in view. I dont really have the space to bring both hutches into the house, would it be very detrimental to have him out of sight of the girls for so long? They are all from the same litter and have been housed together since birth.

I notice that the advice is to bring a rabbit indoors for 24 hours following castration. I have just taken 3 rabbits in, a boy and 2 girls. The boy is booked in for castration on wednesday and I was told that to keep his housed seperatly from the girls but still in view. I dont really have the space to bring both hutches into the house, would it be very detrimental to have him out of sight of the girls for so long? They are all from the same litter and have been housed together since birth.

Hiya
I'm not sure but someone on here will know. Goodluck x

When Smokey was spayed, I brought Inky in to spend some time with her (supervised) for a couple of hours before bed, I think it really helped her recover and he was very gentle with her. If you have a run, it may be easier to divide that and bring it in.

When Smokey was spayed, I brought Inky in to spend some time with her (supervised) for a couple of hours before bed, I think it really helped her recover and he was very gentle with her. If you have a run, it may be easier to divide that and bring it in.

Hi Friskyclover me again!
How would I divide a run? I have a fenel fold from pets at home? I don't need to do it now but when I look for a GF for midnight which will be in 3/4 weeks I'll defo need to do it.

Hi Friskyclover me again!
How would I divide a run? I have a fenel fold from pets at home? I don't need to do it now but when I look for a GF for midnight which will be in 3/4 weeks I'll defo need to do it.

Howdy!

I don't own a Fennel Fold myself but from looking at it on the web, I'd say you could probably make a panel out of metal mesh(you may be able to get away with small chicken wire if it's not going outdoors) and a few untreated roofing battens. The you could either tie it securely in place or perhaps nail it (it'd be easy enough to take the nails out after)?

Your other alternative, would be to get some plywood (I think that's what they call it) and divide the run with that but they woudln't be able to see through it.

Thanks Friskyclover

I think I will try and do it myself! I was thinking that I might have to buy another run which I still might do but in the short term I'll have a go at making a divider.

Thanks again x

Back