• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Am I over reacting? help please!!!!

charlie82

Mama Doe
Phoebe is acting strangely :(

she was fine at 6am when she woke me up doing circuits around the room, has eaten all of her veg and pelllets during the night etc. I didn't get up properly until 9am and she was lying flopped out next to me as usual.

I went downstairs and was only gone about 15 mins and when i came back up she was sitting on the floor acting strange...i can't quite explain how but I just knew something wasn't right. I got a packet of treats (my illness test) and rattled the bag but she didn't run over like she normally does. I offered her one but she just refused and ran off into a little box to hide. I got her out and picked her up, checked her over and can't find anything externally wrong. Felt her tummy and that feels fine, put her on the floor and she ran off into the other bedroom and under the bed. She did a tiny bit of sniffing but then just lay down. She normally binkys around! I got some carrot because it's her favourite thing in the whole world and she has turned her nose up at that. I was just thinking about ringing the vet when she hopped out, came over to me then hopped off and peed on the carpet. She has never done that before and always uses her litter tray :(

I know the answer is obvious i.e take her to the vet, but should I leave her a couple of hours then take her or take her now?? I only say this because i have a major tendency to over react..so I never know if I am jumping the gun so to speak.

Help please....

would she have been a bit shocked ifshe fell off the bed or something? this may be why.

i really dont know what to say sorry x

I would get her to the vets... you can't be too careful, and if she is refusing food, best to get her there now x

Thanks...
my sister said maybe she has had a shock but I don't know... she has had loads of silly accidents like slipping etc but she has never reacted like this.

I'm waiting for my friend (vet) to get back to me. I'm worried in case she has eaten something she shouldn't. She was chewing up her fabric bed early this morning that has foam inside so I took it away from her but I really hope she hasn't eaten any :cry:

Sounds odd. I always ring the vets first if I think I'm overreacting and they will tell you to come in or not. Personally if she has recently eaten i would leave it for an hour or two as she may have fallen off the bed or something. :)

yeah, she just doesn't seem like she is in shock though...more like she is not feeling well but it has come on so suddenly. I picked her up and put her on the landing to try and force her to move around and she did a little bit of sniffing but retreats back under the bed. It's just not at all like her. She never refuses a treat either...she normally runs like lightning if she hears a packet.. and the weeing on my sisters carpet is just not normal at all :?

I have asked my friend if I am over reacting or should I take her in to see her.... I was only at the vets yesterday (it's a two hour round trip which is why i try and avoid it if necessary cos i don't want to cause huge amounts of stress) and was saying how well they were doing with the exception of my other poorly bun. :(

Back