• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can a change in routine trigger phantom pregnancy?

CarmenCole

Mama Doe
Hi

The above question is regarding Miffy, my latest rescue mission. The reason I ask primarily, is because she is actively running around with mouthfuls of hay, building the tidiest nest I've ever seen. She hasn't pulled fur yet, but her dewlap is certainly big enough to line this amazing construction! :shock: :)

The previous owner said she hasn't been out ever, or even handled for months, so unless there are some fibs being told, it's going to be false symptoms.:roll:

I wonder, because Hunny did the same thing when I rescued her. She, also was an un-neutered female, nest building frantically for about 2 weeks with a dewlap the size of a small Mediterranean island! :lol:

Has anyone else had experience of this? Can a change in scenery make that much difference? :shock:

Carmen

The smell of other Rabbits, particularly Bucks, often triggers a pseudopregnancy.

Janex :)

Thanks Jane

Both my boys are outside, they are both neutered too. Would that make any difference? She spent a short time outside yesterday in the garden, so she may have smelt them. All 4 of my other buns are spayed/neutered.

She is pulling fur from her dewlap now too. :roll:

Carmen

Last edited:
Okaaaay!:shock: :lol:

I double checked with the previous owner's sister - she definitely hasn't been in contact with another rabbit. So here we go again, phantom pregnancy. :roll:

Carmen

Back