• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

HELP!!!! Picking rabbits up (for meds) U/D Thanks everyone! All is good

huppie

Mama Doe
Hi all

Original post below this update....

Huppie is doing very well. Putting her on a table worked a treat as she had nowhere to run! We finished with the Metacam yesterday, the scar is healing wonderfully, she is eating and drinking loads. She has become a lot faster and more stretchy since the op - I am guessing she must have been in pain because of the pus found by the vet in her womb - good job we had her sterilised, the previous owners hadn't noticed any change in her (we have only had her 6 weeks and the previous owner neglecteed her!). She is now really running around and enjoying herself and she is also behaving for the meds. This morning was wonderful because I only had to give her one. Hoorah. She has also started asking for strokes again so she doesn't hate me - yippee!

Thanks everyone for looking after such a panicky mum!

Emma

Original Post:
I have a rabbit who is very unhappy about being picked up. I can manage it for a short while by putting her on her back to check her bum - or at the moment her tummy. She has just been spayed. The thing is I have to give her meds via syringe for 10 days. She is fine and well but back to her usual 'no, don't pick me up ways'.

How can I get her to co-operate. I have tried bribery, rewards and towels but so far nothing works. I am sure I could give her her meds on her back as she is stuck then but I believe that is dangerous. Arrrrrrgggghhhh

Emma

PS Sorry if you have seen me worry on other threads about this!

Last edited:
It is Baytril to clear up an infection. Luckily we had her sterilised, otherwise she might have died. She had probably been producing more and more pus for months now. The previous owners never did anything with her (she was in a cage the whole time, not cleaned at all for 2+ weeks at a time etc) so they didn't notice a change and because we have only had her for 6 weeks she has only improved in mood and health since we got her.

We took her to the vet about 5 days after we got her for a thorough checkup but he wasn't rabbit-savvy, unlike the awesome vet that operated on her! I spoke to the vet earlier and she recommended putting her on a table, that way she has no where to go and it is easier to grab a tight hold! The towel has to make her feel she can't move and there has to be no way she can move backwards or hide her head. I tried that and it worked! Hoorah! She is now hiding in a corner and is very grumpy but I will try and bond with her again in an hour or so to prove I am not just evil.

What a palaver!

Emma

Last edited:
Hi
Mine is exactly the same hates being picked up and makes whimpering noises if you do manage to pick him up! When i had to give him antibiotics i gave up picking him up after first 2 days cos he hated it so much so took a piece of apple scored it and dripped the antibiotics on to it. He ate it all without any problems. Goodluck!

Hi She-ra

Thank you so much! I really did think I was the only one with a grumpy rabbit, it is good to know that is just how some rabbits are. She still hasn't coming up to me for her stroke but she didn't run away either *sigh*

Emma

When i was giving kermit baytril in his mouth from the syringe he hated it.....i read on here to put panacur in a basil leaf, so i tried that with the baytril.....meant that i had to put small amounts in each leaf, then wrap it up and feed him each leaf individually, but he did take it.

I put about 0.1ml in each leaf

thanks Tomhighway

If Huppie finds a way of utterly ignoring me and becomes a real pest to syringe I will try the food option. I haven't tried her on herbs yet so maybe this is a good excuse. She doesn't like greenery in general though so we shall see...

Emma

Hi She-ra

Thank you so much! I really did think I was the only one with a grumpy rabbit, it is good to know that is just how some rabbits are. She still hasn't coming up to me for her stroke but she didn't run away either *sigh*

Emma

Nope Emma mine like that too. He's very happy to come and sit on me or lick me when he wants but i can't pick him up. He runs even if i stroke him. Such is the wonder of buns!:lol:

Back