• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Baby Bunnies..

Isis

Mama Doe
I work in a pet shop, we sell mainly sell birds and some reptiles. Occasionally we get rabbit's come in. But some times we have rabbit's people no longer want :((don't know why they cannot take them to a rescue) About 3 weeks ago we had 2 adult buns come in, male and female. The female is a rex, and I think the male is a cross. The female is gorgeous, would love to take her home with me.

Yesterday when I got into work I'd noticed she's pulled her fur out and made a nest and at least 4-5 babies. The male and female are no longer together. But could she be pregnant again? I moved him out when I noticed they we mating the first time.

Can anyone tell me, at what age would it be suitable to move the mother and babies? Or do I just leave them alone. They should of been moved into the hutches outside, but there wasn't any hutches free at the time.

We think she came in pregnant, that is why the previous owners left them with us :(

Sorry if any of this makes any sense, lack of sleep last night :(

Got into work this morning, mother and babies are doing fine. She has plenty of food, water and hay. But worried because it is my day off tomorrow, the other guys that run the pet food side might not give her enough as she drinks a lot.

I will try and do some research, see what I can find. As they are in the shop and really need to move them outside.

my rabbit just had a litter on sat lol
if you havent already you need to move them to a quit spot on there owne so not to spook the doe. she will need a lot of water and i give a lil extra food in the morrining and at night, she will prob only feed them late at night or early in the morning (when she feels safe) and may not bother with them much till then you may whant to see a vet too as you dont no what diet she was on b4 hand and may lack some calcium needed for milk.
it is safe to move the kits away from mum at 7-8 weeks of age. hope this helps

I don't want to move them until I know it is safer enough to move them. She seems to be very relaxed where she is. I made sure she has plenty of water, I give her fresh water daily, if need be I will call work tomorrow and make sure they have fed and watered her. If not I know I will be worried all day that they haven't done it.

She is a very friendly bun, always greeting me when I go to feed her. I will get some pic's of her when I can.

OK, Don't move them untill 3weeks old I like to keep them in for 4weeks but if necessary 3weeks no younger was the buck still with her when she had the kits? (I would go in personally and check her) pm if anything pops up I am a breeder so I know lots and love the whole thing lots:love::love: hope all goes well would love to help

Yeah he was still in there when she had the kits, and I have a feeling she is probably pregnant :( I feel so sad for this poor rabbit :cry:

I'll try and get into work tomorrow, the weather has been so bad lately, and I have to ride my bike in the rain and it is 3 miles.

You could take her for an emergency spay, if she is in good health, im not sure if its such a good idea so soon after giving birth, hopefully someone more knowledgeable than myself will be able to advise. Is there no way you could take this girly home?

He was trying to mate with her, but she wasn't interested. I would love to take her home with me, but I don't think my parents will be happy. I've been trying to persuade them about having a couple of the babies. When they are ready :(

One thing I hate about living with my parents, if I was on my own, I would be over run with animals :lol:

, if need be I will call work tomorrow and make sure they have fed and watered her. If not I know I will be worried all day that they haven't done it.

Well done you for taking proper responsibility for these buns. I hope mum and babies get rehomed soon.
Your quote above reinforces the argument that pet shops shouldn't be able to sell livestock:cry:
How awful that you can't rely on your colleagues to carry out the most basic requirements for the animals in their care:evil:.

Well done you for taking proper responsibility for these buns. I hope mum and babies get rehomed soon.
Your quote above reinforces the argument that pet shops shouldn't be able to sell livestock:cry:
How awful that you can't rely on your colleagues to carry out the most basic requirements for the animals in their care:evil:.
I think it is more me, I just worry to much to the point where I make myself ill :(

I will still give them a call, to make sure they have given her plenty of water and food.

If she wasn't willing then there is a chance that they didn't actually mate, and another plus sometimes right after they have kits they wont be able to con sieve but that isn't always hope all goes well today

Phoned work and they have given her plenty of water, food and hay. So I am happy. Lets just hope she is not pregnant again, fingers crossed.

But I cannot wait to see the babies, I'm getting excited about it :oops:

Hey,
Thought I'd let you know they are a week old today/tomorrow. They are doing really well and are growing really fast. Today I had counted 7 babies and my boss counted 9 yesterday :shock: But unfortunately one of them died :(:cry:

I cannot wait till they start coming out of the nest, I'm so excited!!

Babies are 2 weeks old now. They have all got their eyes open and some are wondering around in the hutch, still not a 100% sure on how many there are. But they are so cute, some are all black and there are others that are black with brown on their ears and faces..

Back