• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mucoid Enteritus outbreak?

4evame

New Kit
I work somewhere which has many rabbits, and recently we appear to have had about 10 rabbits with mucoid enteritus.

Some have recovered after feeding baby food wixed with Lactol 2 times a day syringe fed, and then soaked pellets with Lactol when they seem to be getting better.

Some rabbits have also had bloat, and others have had really bad runs. (Can't spell diorhea sorry).

Is it infectious?
Why is it all of a sudden many of them get it?

I won't tell you exactly what I do yet, until I know I can trust this place.
I'm a Newbie :p
Any advice is greatly appreciated.

i think it is infectious but so long as you keep infected buns separate from the others it should be fine..this is a trusted site among people who care about rabbits..just read some of the other items on here to see why we come here...its great for building knowledge..
mucoid enteritis is potentially fatal if not treated properly though..

We give the runs they are in a really good disinfectant every day since having so many problems.

All poorly rabbits are kept seperate from each other in quarantine.
Is it airbourne infectious?

What would be the best treatment?
I've done some research but all websites say different things, and all the vets do is give them Batril which has killed them whever it's been used.

its not airborne i think its from coming in contact with infected hay/ food /litter tray etc of the one with the enteritis..
i used baytril and metaclopramide along with pain relief. pro biotics in the water and put them on a hay only diet.

I just saw another thread with a website for treatment.
I might have to look into getting some of them.

What if they have no appetite and won't even eat the hay?

porridge oats are good as buns love them... of squeezing strawberries over hay to intice them..metaclopramide and vitamin b injection will get them eating if nothing else will....vit b injections work within hours..
how long since you diagnosed enteritis?and since they stopped eating?

Could it be coccidiosis?

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/Protozoal_diseases/coccidiosis_general.PDF

I don't know much about it but it has symtoms like you've described and is contagious? I think it is very hard to kill.

I agree, I think you need to consult ayour Vet today and start treating for Coccidiosis

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/171332.htm

http://www.galensgarden.co.uk/herbivores/health/coccidiosis.php

Jeyes Fluid kills Coccidia but as its highly toxic great care must be taken with thorough rinsing and drying of any area cleaned with JF.

Janex

I don't think it's that.
Right, here is the situation.

I work in a pet shop.

A few months ago we started to get a few rabbits become bloated, going off their food, teeth grinding, having jelly coming out of their rear end, followed by the runs a few days after.
Some would recover some not.

Now we have had a lot in the past few weeks and are getting worried.

Young baby rabbits are so susceptible to gut problems and any stress or changes in diet etc can just be too much for them. Gut infection is also another possibility and this can be passed from one litter to another if ineffective hygeine / cleaning occurs.

I would seriously suggest discontinueing selling any more rabbits and concentrating on supplying good quality and appropriate rabbit products instead.

Thing is, 95% of the rabbits we have and sell are perfectly fine, no problem.
So stopping selling rabbits because of 5% illness is not something the manager would wan't to do.

We sell the same food the breeders feed their rabbits on, so there is no diet change involved.

They are kept quarintined (away from sick rabbits) for 3-4 days before actually going on sale as well.

I don't think it's that.
Right, here is the situation.

I work in a pet shop.

A few months ago we started to get a few rabbits become bloated, going off their food, teeth grinding, having jelly coming out of their rear end, followed by the runs a few days after.
Some would recover some not.

Now we have had a lot in the past few weeks and are getting worried.

I still believe that Coccidiosis is a likely cause and I think the shop should stop taking in or selling baby Rabbits until the disease outbreak is identified and eradicated.

Janex

Have any of the bunnies been to a vet for treatment and diagnosis ? I have to agree that you do need to see a vet ASAP about all the poorly bunnies, hopefully they will find out the cause :cry: I really think no more bunnies should be brought into the premises until a cause is found and treated. Sending vibes to the poorly buns.

Yeah, I agree.
We need to have a week or more of no rabbits at all before getting any more in.

Yeah, we have taken loads to the vet and all they give them is Baytril.

Then within two days they die.
The Baytril just doesn't work.

We have saved more with our own treatment than the vets have

Yeah, I agree.
We need to have a week or more of no rabbits at all before getting any more in.

Yeah, we have taken loads to the vet and all they give them is Baytril.

Then within two days they die.
The Baytril just doesn't work.

We have saved more with our own treatment than the vets have

You need to speak to your manager. You need to have no more rabbits in until you are clear and have a huge disinfecting spree including air vents. You need to have a time period of at least 2 weeks clear of animals.

One of the rabbits needs to have a post mortem done to determine the exact cause and as a few have said here, the rabbits you do have need to be treated with a coccidiostat.

Muccoid enteritis is usually a secondary infection and the rabbits will drop like flies.

If your manager doesn't listen to reason then you need to take the problem to someone who will listen.

Yeah, I'll discuss it with my colleague on Sunday.

Thankyou for all your help.
It's been brilliant.

Have you considered the possibility that the source of the illness is the breeder, rather than your shop?

Don't take the breeders word for it if they say that non of their rabbits have become ill, they might just be lying to keep their source of income.

We use many different breeders.

and do you mix litters from different Breeders :shock: :(

From what you have said hear I think you need to speak with the most senior person at the shop as the situation as you describe it is extremely serious.
If no-one will listen then I dont think you have a choice other than to report your employers to the RSPCA as a matter of urgency
This may have serious implications for your job but Rabbits cant keep being bought in or sold whilst a lethal pathogen is active.

Why not show your manager this thread..........

Janex

Back