• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advantages and disadvantages of getting Bella spayed.

Hiya,
I have a few of each if I'm completely honest :?

Advantages

1) It would prevent her from getting uterine cancer at the age of 3 years,
2) It would help litter-train her,
3) It would be easier to clean out her cage/hutch.

Disadvantages

1) I might lose her while she's under,
2) It might be a successful op but may lose her when she gets home,
3) She's a house rabbit on her own for her life so she wouldn't have the risk of getting pregnant.

I really can't decide what's best. Please don't think I'm being a wuss, I just really care for Bella and want what's best for her. I love her very, very much and would hate to lose her while she was under :cry:

What should I do?

Diana xx

I think that the number of rabbits lost through cancer is probably greater than those lost whilst under anaesthetic..

You're definitely not a wuss, it isn't an easy decision. I think most of the really experienced rabbit keepers here will say that it's a necessary thing to do, unless there are reasons (such as health) for not doing.

I had two does in the past, one I had spayed, the other I didn't. The only male rabbit around had been 'done' so there were no risks of litters.

I had Bungee spayed because she was a dental bunny and the vet suggested it would be a good thing to have her spayed because she was having an anaesthetic anyway. She came out of it really well. I found it easier to have my buck neutered because, although he still had an anaesthetic the op is much easier to recover from. He was grotty on the evening of the op but did really well after that. Then came the decision for my other doe, Scrappy. I didn't have enough information on the risks to her, I even booked a consultation and the vet wouldn't give good enough answers to convince me the risk was only minimal. I never actually made a choice to not have it done, I just didn't have enough courage to put her through it. If she was with me now, and I know as much as I do know, she would definitely be having it done.

The risk of losing them at 6 months (or whatever age they are done) is minimal... the risk of losing them at 3, 4 years whatever is (as you know) pretty high.

I got a doe 16 weeks ago and she's booked in for a spay next Tuesday. I've made sure my most trusted vet is booked... but I'll still be scared witless on day.

I lost one of mine to cancer and believe me it is not pleasant to watch. We had her for 5 years and she was fully grown when we found her. A lot do get it younger than this.

I understand your concerns but I would never want to put a rabbit through this again so would take a chance on having her done. There are risks with everything. So long as you have a good vet who performs lots of these ops then you have the best chance of things being OK, although nothing is ever 100% sure.

True, true. It certainly isn't a easy decision to make :?

I think I'll maybe get Bella done? She is 1 year and 1 month 1 week. I know she's old enough but for her age, is there a high risk of me losing her now? How much is it usually, too?

True, true. It certainly isn't a easy decision to make :?

I think I'll maybe get Bella done? She is 1 year and 1 month 1 week. I know she's old enough but for her age, is there a high risk of me losing her now? How much is it usually, too?

The reason I found it hard to make the decision about Scrappy is the vet that I saw wouldn't put it in percentage terms. Sadly I saw the wrong vet as he wasn't reassuring either. The vet I saw recently didn't give percentages either but he just said "extremely rare". He said rabbits always had thorough health checks beforehand. He explained the type of anaesthetics they use and latest recommended methods etc, he was just really reassuring. He also knows I'm devastated at losing two rabbits earlier this year so wouldn't be up for putting me through losing another, which tells me he's really confident in what he's doing. Though I'm choosing to put Esme through it, I definitely wouldn't think anyone was wrong to be too scared to put their rabbit through it. I know how I felt with Scrappy.... I was so scared of losing her. I know people do lose rabbits through GA but I feel less scared of that after having a dental bunny. She had 10 GAs and if she had her teeth done in the morning she was usually quite bright when i picked her up at teatime.

Good luck with the decision :D.

I have made the decision not to neuter my boy - mainly for your reasons too. I have already lost one under GA having his op and I'm not going to go through it again............so no you're not being a wuss x

I have made the decision not to neuter my boy - mainly for your reasons too. I have already lost one under GA having his op and I'm not going to go through it again............so no you're not being a wuss x

Out of interest, was this recently? The methods used for the general anaesthetics have changed a lot and the risks are less. Was it actually whilst under anaesthetic? I've been told the first 24 hours or so after the op are the most risky, rather than under the anaesthetic itself, but still have not enough information of how many actually die whilst under, or in early recovery period.

It would be helpful if the rescues had some stats as they get loads of rabbits neutered.
I know at Hopper Haven (average no. of resident rabbits around 150 mark) that only a few have sadly been lost under GA for a neuter.
I've had all mine neutered, and any future buns I have will be neutered unless they are not well enough to undergo any procedure.

I will have to get Ghostie spayed due to her 'I must have dominance' attitude and this leads to slight aggression.
I am scared shitless that she'll die under anasesetic, but i know it will benefit her and the risks are very low, especially as my vets are very bunny savvy.
I'd suggest talking to your vets, they won't lie to you.

I have only ever lost one rabbit after they were neutered and he was a male but that was 9 years ago. I was too scared to get my female rabbits speyed after that, but one of them died from uterine cancer when she was 3 years old :cry: and my other female Hazel got pregnant when she was 2 years old after a stray male rabbit got into my garden and mated with her :shock: she ended up having an emergency spey because she had problems giving birth. She is 8 now and I am glad she was speyed because she may have went on to develop cancer and she would not be here today. Since then I have always had my rabbits neutered and have noticed a big improvement their recovery over the years, they are alot more alert when they come home and they recover quicker. I don't think age is really an issue just as long as the rabbit is fit and healthy, 1 year is still young so the risks are still low. One of my rescue buns was 5 when he was neutered and he coped really well :).

I didn't lose Sooty but she had a massive uterine bleed followed by another whilst at the vets. She was 5 years old and I just hadn't got round to having her spayed, which sounds awful but was the truth.

She had an emergency spay and was fine. I had Tinkerbell done when she was a year old and would always have a female spayed in the future.

I would say get her done. The cancer is far worse to go through than having them spayed (trust me) I lost a 7yr old rabbit a couple of months back to uterine cancer itwas awful.
Bella is an excellent age and healthy bun so she shouldn't have any trouble with the anaesethic the older she gets the chances are higher of her getting uterine cancer, look at it in a positive way that you are giving Bella a longer life by getting her spayed:D.
If it is any help in making a decision as regard anaesethic then last year I sent 6 of my giants (my giants are all my babies) to be spayed at Liverpool veterinary college where they were trying a new anaesethic for rabbits. All rabbits came through brilliantly, I will also admit that I wasn't worried about them being under the anaesethic as they are not under the anaesethic very long anyway you are only talking minutes not hours.

I lost a doe post spey. :cry:
The vet nicked her bowel, but I still neuter all my rabbits, although I do use a different vet now.
I haven't lost a rabbit to cancer but have lost a cat and two dogs and would do all I could to prevent it.

1firstly the most important thing is that the vet is rabbit savvy and will do good by your bunny. i personally have lost a bun to uterine cancer and it is a distressing and upsetting time.

2. you are still young and in ten years time(yup buns can live to 14) youwill likely be in your own place and not with parents...which may mean you can get her a freind then too at which point she would need speying BUT with age the risk is greater.

3. even with the risks i have just had a 3 year old and a 9year old bun(both females) neutered both are fine. the main thing is the first 24-48 hours they must poo and wee and eat and they must stay warm...these are the main reasons buns are lost(tho not all of them) and so please be careful with her the first few days.

4. 85% buns who are female get uterine cancer and it will make her more freindlier tidier and calmer....

5. my main reason to get dora done was the amount of fur she pulled out my vet hardly had to shave her poor thing was bald from makeing so many nests and she used to box me recently which has calmed down a lot.

whatever you choose good luck however i would do it but ONLY if vet is competant in rabbit care xx

I debated whether to get Tango done. I know he's a boy so it's easier but he had a really bad chest that his ranging hormones was making worse. The vat warned me that he might not make it through but I went ahad anyway and it was the best thing that I could have done!
Also my friends rabbit is a girl and she lives on her own but really needs to be done and she has gotten really territorial and bad tempered so I am trying to persuade her to get her rabbit done.

welll the risk of uterine cancer at age 4 years is 80%....and I'd imagine the risk of losing her because of the spay is a lot less. it is stressful, but worth it in the end in my opinion. imagine the horror of trying to nurse her through cancer and then potentailly losing her anyway.

I should add that I have no special knowledge about this subject, it's just what I feel.

Anaesthetics have come a long way over the years, and the risk of losing a rabbit under a short, routine anaesthetic is very low. Just make sure you take her to a rabbit savvy vet that you have confidence in, and don't be afraid to ask them questions such as how often they perform the op and roughly how many they have lost under GA.

I've been advising a friend to spay her rabbit for the last few years, she's now 4 and they think she has uterine cancer now :(

Personally I would spay Bella, compared with her chances of getting cancer the risk of dying during a spay is slight. But it is a risk and the decision is yours to live with.

Life is a risk, my bun Pippa was spayed, and I was terrified, then she died 18 months later of suspected EC :(

Back