• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Concerns about rabbits weight

cat001

Young Bun
We got our rabbit May 15th 08 so haven't had him that long. He was pretty skinny when we got him and thought he just wasn't being fed enough. He was neutered May 28th and the other day had to go to the vets due to a penis prolapse, he's come back today, but looks even thinner then when we left him 2 days ago. The vets said he was eating fine there and he's eating normally here too. I'm really not sure why he's so thin, maybe becuase of being to the vets twice in such a short period of time? He's a Himalayan rabbit so I know his breed is sleek anyway but he just seems very underweight. Is there any way I can help him gain weight besides feeding him more, he gets plenty of food already that he eats readily. Also is there any possible reason he may be loosing this weight? I can feel his spine and his pelvis bone is very prominent so i'm getting a little concerned about him.

We got our rabbit May 15th 08 so haven't had him that long. He was pretty skinny when we got him and thought he just wasn't being fed enough. He was neutered May 28th and the other day had to go to the vets due to a penis prolapse, he's come back today, but looks even thinner then when we left him 2 days ago. The vets said he was eating fine there and he's eating normally here too. I'm really not sure why he's so thin, maybe becuase of being to the vets twice in such a short period of time? He's a Himalayan rabbit so I know his breed is sleek anyway but he just seems very underweight. Is there any way I can help him gain weight besides feeding him more, he gets plenty of food already that he eats readily. Also is there any possible reason he may be loosing this weight? I can feel his spine and his pelvis bone is very prominent so i'm getting a little concerned about him.

Porridge with hot water (left to cool after) is good with helping to put weight on.

I would want to find the underlying cause for the weight loss, rather than fattening the bunny up... there has to be a reason for this.

I would want to find the underlying cause for the weight loss, rather than fattening the bunny up... there has to be a reason for this.

I'd love to find out the cause of his weight loss so i can correct the problem, in the mean time i want to keep his weight up. We're going back to the vet on Friday for his check up so i'll query it with the vet then.

I definatley agree that a vets visit is in order. Misty was losing weight and we had to get blood tests done, after we found nothing was wrong we put it down to old age. I give Misty porridge oats with excel in it, bit of boiling water to thoroughly soak them. She loves them and did start putting weight on, but every bun is different so speak to vet first xx

I definatley agree that a vets visit is in order. Misty was losing weight and we had to get blood tests done, after we found nothing was wrong we put it down to old age. I give Misty porridge oats with excel in it, bit of boiling water to thoroughly soak them. She loves them and did start putting weight on, but every bun is different so speak to vet first xx

I certainly will, I hope he's ok. :(

Back