PDA

View Full Version : Vibes for Bugsy please.Back from vets 09/09/08more vibes needed post76

Maizey
08-07-2008, 05:06 PM
Budgsy has got really waxy ears I took him to see my vet last week and she gave me two options.One to try and remove the wax using ear cleaners or two to have them flushed.Ive been using olive oil all week and metecam,Thank you for your advice Jacks Jane.A lot of wax has been coming out but Bugsy has been scratching his ears so they are bloody and inflamed.I took him back to my vet today and she said she could see pus behind the wax in his ears so Bugsy has to have a GA tomorrow and an ear flush.Ive ask for a culture to be done so we know what we are dealing with.I also think Bugsy is partially deaf.My vet said I could be reffered to Tauton for tests but I dont know If there is much point going down that road as nothing can be done if his hearing is impared.

Jack's-Jane
08-07-2008, 05:12 PM
Sendy Bugsy tons of vibes. Please keep us updated as to how he gets on.

Janex :)

Maizey
08-07-2008, 05:55 PM
Thank you Jane I will

SOAD
08-07-2008, 06:56 PM
Sending vibes.

The Duchess
08-07-2008, 06:59 PM
A big bunny hug for Bugsy and loads of get well wishes too. xx

billysmom
08-07-2008, 07:07 PM
Sending vibes for Bugsy, x

Maizey
08-07-2008, 09:11 PM
Thank you all so much for your kindness:love:

*Bex*
08-07-2008, 09:22 PM
Vibes!!x

hurricanhoney
08-07-2008, 09:23 PM
Vibes

Jack's-Jane
08-07-2008, 09:30 PM
Sending you a big kiss to wish you well for your op' Bugsy

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b27/Jan-bun/Rabbits2/Picture2709-1.jpg

Lots of Love

Sarah Rabbit xx

Maizey
08-07-2008, 09:34 PM
Sending you a big kiss to wish you well for your op' Bugsy

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b27/Jan-bun/Rabbits2/Picture2709-1.jpg

Lots of Love

Sarah Rabbit xx

Oh thank you Sarah Ill go and give Bugs a big kiss from You now.Please have a great big Kiss and keep hanging on in there Vibes back from Bugsy,Barlie,Willow,Honey and Blue.Your a beautiful girl:love:

Jack's-Jane
09-07-2008, 06:36 AM
I'll be thinking of Bugsy today.

Good Luck Bugsy !!

Maizey
09-07-2008, 07:18 AM
Thank you so much Jane.Its raining here so at least he wont get to hot in the vets.

Jack's-Jane
09-07-2008, 12:26 PM
Any idea what time you can phone the Vets to see how Bugsy is ?
I'll keep checking on here for an update

Maizey
09-07-2008, 01:01 PM
Hello Jane Im meant to ring at two but I cant wait any longer So Ill go and give them a ring now

Maizey
09-07-2008, 01:06 PM
Ive just spoken to the vet nurse and she said that they havent even started on him yet as they have to do the sterile opps first:(

animal ry
09-07-2008, 01:15 PM
best wishes to him i hope all goes well come on bugsy!!! :D

Jack's-Jane
09-07-2008, 01:29 PM
Ive just spoken to the vet nurse and she said that they havent even started on him yet as they have to do the sterile opps first:(

Still sending tons of vibes for him.

Maizey
09-07-2008, 03:01 PM
Ive just phoned the vets and only the receptionist is there.She told me I could pick him up at 4.30.So I will have to wait until then to see how things went

Jack's-Jane
09-07-2008, 03:03 PM
I am sure if there was a problem the Vet would have called you. I bet you cant wait to get Bugsy home !!

Janex

Maizey
09-07-2008, 03:07 PM
Thank you for your support Jane.Im just relieved he has got through his GA.I cant wait to get my baby boy home.Im sure I wont be able to wait until 4.30 so Ill go a bit earlier.Ill update you later as to what they have found etc

Jack's-Jane
09-07-2008, 03:26 PM
Awwwwwww I am sure he'll be so glad to get home. Give the brave chap a nose rub from me

bunbuns
09-07-2008, 03:30 PM
Hope everthing is ok with Bugsy xxx

Maizey
09-07-2008, 04:50 PM
Bugsy is home.Hes still very out of it.He has come home with Suralan drops,zantac and metecam.I have to take him back to see Jane next tuesday for a check up.He has also had swabs taken which will be cultured to see what we arehttp://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk13/bugsymalone123/100_2807.jpg dealing with.Thank you from Bugsy and me for all your support.http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk13/bugsymalone123/100_2803.jpg

Jack's-Jane
09-07-2008, 05:16 PM
I am sure Bugsy will feel much brighter tomorrow. Glad the Vet took some swabs and gave Metacam and Zantac :thumb:

SOAD
09-07-2008, 05:19 PM
Awwww sending more recovery vibes.

capel
09-07-2008, 05:28 PM
Lots and lots of vibes:)

Maizey
09-07-2008, 05:47 PM
I am sure Bugsy will feel much brighter tomorrow. Glad the Vet took some swabs and gave Metacam and Zantac :thumb:

Thank you Jane
I had to ask for the zantac three times before they finally remembered.They are very bussy and cant remember everything

Maizey
09-07-2008, 06:34 PM
I would just like to thank everyone for giving me and Bugsy support today and yesterday when no one else understands how much we love our bunnies.You are all wonderful people:love::love:

Maizey
09-07-2008, 07:37 PM
Bugsy is fast asleep chin rested on water bowl:angel:

Steph
09-07-2008, 07:53 PM
Awww sending Bugsy loads of vibes xxx

Maizey
09-07-2008, 07:56 PM
Awww sending Bugsy loads of vibes xxx

Thank you so muchxx

Maizey
10-07-2008, 07:29 AM
Bugsy is a lot better this morning but the poor chap must still have a lot of irritation in his ears as he is constantly shaking his head.Ive been trying for the last half an hour to get some zantac into him.I have tried putting it on all his favourite food,Pears,basil,toast and he is having non of it.Has any one got any Ideas because I really dont want to get him stressed out by forcing him.

Jack's-Jane
10-07-2008, 07:58 AM
Bugsy is a lot better this morning but the poor chap must still have a lot of irritation in his ears as he is constantly shaking his head.Ive been trying for the last half an hour to get some zantac into him.I have tried putting it on all his favourite food,Pears,basil,toast and he is having non of it.Has any one got any Ideas because I really dont want to get him stressed out by forcing him.

I am sure his ears do feel very sensitive still. To be honest I find the quick, direct approach the best for giving meds to stressy Buns. So its the firm but gentle handling, secure wrapping in towel, med syringe into side of mouth, behind incisors and then administer med horizontally across the mouth, not straight down Buns throat. You need to be firm to be kind here and once done leave Bun alone with some tastey treats.

Good Luck !!

Janex

Maizey
10-07-2008, 08:07 AM
I think you are right Jane Ive just tried some more bribery.I wish Andy was here as Bugs is so big its a bit of a nightmare task to attempt on your own.Here goes

Jack's-Jane
10-07-2008, 08:09 AM
I think you are right Jane Ive just tried some more bribery.I wish Andy was here as Bugs is so big its a bit of a nightmare task to attempt on your own.Here goes

Be a brave boy Bugsy, the meds are to make you feel better

Maizey
10-07-2008, 08:49 AM
Bugsy has had his first lot of zantac.A back leg came free from the towel so I have a ripped belly and Tshirt.Dont you just love bunnies that hate their medicine:lol::lol:

charlie82
10-07-2008, 09:26 AM
Poor Bugsy! I hope he starts to feel better soon :(

I always find that if I take a stressy bun to an unfamiliar environment it makes it easier to give oral meds. That's why I was sitting in the bath tub with Phoebe at 12.30 this morning :roll:

SOAD
10-07-2008, 09:35 AM
Awwwwwww come on Bugsy.

Maizey
10-07-2008, 11:43 AM
I have never once had an easy time of giving bunnies oral meds, if they dont take It on some food.Luckily they all take their panecure from a basil leaf except Honey but shes not very big so its quite easy to get her in one hand and pop the syringe in her mouth with the other.Bugsy is so big you need two hands just to hold him.I always prefer injecting them Its so much easier.Thats another prob with Bugs hes so thick skins the needles usually bend before I can get them through his skin and he always gets a nasty reaction on the needle site.Lets hope when the results come back he doesn't need antibiotics

Maizey
15-07-2008, 05:54 PM
I have just got back from the vets with Bugsy.I was given surralan ear drops to put in his ears last week.My vet just told me he had a severe infection and both ear drums were perforated and the surralan was to put on the cuts in his ears not to be put down his ear canals.I'm really cross because I specifically asked the vet nurse if his ear drums were in tact and she said yes.Good old communication break down!!!:evil::evil:My vet said no harm would be done :roll::roll::roll:Bugsys results from the cultures taken from his ears should be back by tomorrow so we will know then what we are dealing with then

Jack's-Jane
15-07-2008, 06:11 PM
I have just got back from the vets with Bugsy.I was given surralan ear drops to put in his ears last week.My vet just told me he had a severe infection and both ear drums were perforated and the surralan was to put on the cuts in his ears not to be put down his ear canals.I'm really cross because I specifically asked the vet nurse if his ear drums were in tact and she said yes.Good old communication break down!!!:evil::evil:My vet said no harm would be done :roll::roll::roll:Bugsys results from the cultures taken from his ears should be back by tomorrow so we will know then what we are dealing with then

I said my piece via PM !!

Fingers crossed that the swabs come back clear of Staph A

bunbuns
15-07-2008, 06:29 PM

Oh my goodness, that is terrible :shock: You must be livid!

Sending lots of vibes for Bugsy xxxx

Maizey
15-07-2008, 09:21 PM
I am very cross.My vet did ask which nurse gave me the wrong info so I hope she gets a good teeling off but its not the point It shouldnt of happened in the first place.I just prey my sweet big boy isnt damaged for life

Maizey
29-07-2008, 04:43 PM
I have just come back from the vets with Bugsy.He now has ear drums:love:
Jane my vet said there is wax in his ears but no puss.I have been told to use the octaclean every other day and to carry on with the ceporex injections twice daily.Jane then wants to see him in 4/5 weeks.
I didnt post the results from the cultures Bugsy had taken.In his left ear they found Staphlococcus,proteus spp and E colli.In the right ear they found Staphylococcus and proteus spp.

Maizey
28-08-2008, 01:08 PM
I have had Bugsy on ceporex for 6 weeks,which I finished two weeks ago, because of the bacteria problem in his ears.My vet wants to check him on Tuesday,which will be six weeks since he was last seen.Ive been using otoclean in his ears twice a week but he has still been shacking his head and I can see a lot of wax through my otoscope.Yesterday I put some warm almond oil in his ears and today I have removed four cotton buds full of whitish wax.I have used the cotton buds to reach the wax which I can see as his ears are so long thats the only thing which will reach.I havent been sticking the cotton buds through his ear holes.Is white wax normal or do you think the ear infection is back?My vet is on holiday until next tuesday and the other vet hasnt got a clue about rabbits.

Jack's-Jane
28-08-2008, 01:40 PM
I have had Bugsy on ceporex for 6 weeks,which I finished two weeks ago, because of the bacteria problem in his ears.My vet wants to check him on Tuesday,which will be six weeks since he was last seen.Ive been using otoclean in his ears twice a week but he has still been shacking his head and I can see a lot of wax through my otoscope.Yesterday I put some warm almond oil in his ears and today I have removed four cotton buds full of whitish wax.I have used the cotton buds to reach the wax which I can see as his ears are so long thats the only thing which will reach.I havent been sticking the cotton buds through his ear holes.Is white wax normal or do you think the ear infection is back?My vet is on holiday until next tuesday and the other vet hasnt got a clue about rabbits.

It sounds like pus to me. Have a smell of it ( sorry!! ). Pus will have a very distinctive smell.

Maizey
28-08-2008, 03:37 PM
Hi Jane I did smell It earlier and It smells of ear wax.I have still got the cotton buds to show Andy,as he thought I was seeing things and Bugsys ears were normal.The wax on them has now turned yellow and I would say now has a musty smell.

Maizey
29-08-2008, 07:36 PM
Bugsys ears are full of puss again.I have given him metacam and I have some ceporex left which I am going to inject daily until I see my vet on Tuesday.Has any one else had this problem?Please If any one can help and tell me which antibiotics they have used to clear up this type of ear infection I would be so grateful.I don't want to loose Bugsy I love him so much but he is so uncomfortable Its breaking my heart:cry::cry::cry::cry:

donnamt
29-08-2008, 07:44 PM
poor bugsy.... hope he gets better soon xxxx

Jack's-Jane
29-08-2008, 07:59 PM
Has a culture been done to determine what bacteria you are dealing with ?

Sometimes chronic middle ear infections leave no other option but surgery- a bulla osteotomy. This op' would require a very skilled Bunny surgeon

Here is some info :
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=zen80RjdhLcC&pg=PA252&lpg=PA252&dq=rabbit+bulla+osteotomy&source=web&ots=i0bo5Nfp72&sig=4hNBqXL60fE255BJUvoCBYQ2JE4&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=4&ct=result#PPA252,M1

SOAD
29-08-2008, 08:16 PM
Oh bless him :love:

Maizey
29-08-2008, 08:37 PM
Has a culture been done to determine what bacteria you are dealing with ?

Sometimes chronic middle ear infections leave no other option but surgery- a bulla osteotomy. This op' would require a very skilled Bunny surgeon

Here is some info :
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=zen80RjdhLcC&pg=PA252&lpg=PA252&dq=rabbit+bulla+osteotomy&source=web&ots=i0bo5Nfp72&sig=4hNBqXL60fE255BJUvoCBYQ2JE4&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=4&ct=result#PPA252,M1

Hi Jane,yes cultures have been done,proteus spp,staphylococcus and E colli.What does bulla osteomy involve?Sorry I have just read the link.Do you know of any vets in the wiltshire area who are competent to perform this surgery?

Jack's-Jane
29-08-2008, 09:29 PM
Hi Jane,yes cultures have been done,proteus spp,staphylococcus and E colli.What does bulla osteomy involve?Sorry I have just read the link.Do you know of any vets in the wiltshire area who are competent to perform this surgery?

I dont know of any myself but your Vet should be able to refer you if surgery becomes necessary.
Personally I would only opt for it as a very last resort. It is an extremely painful op' and success is not guaranteed.

Maizey
30-08-2008, 07:40 AM
The bacteria in Bugsy ears are sensitive to Baytil.can you get baytril in ear drop form and would it be worth keeping him on the ceporex and asking for ear drops which are sensitive to these bacterias so The ear infection can be attacked from both ways?

FriskyClover
30-08-2008, 07:57 AM
Lots of vibes for Bugsy.

I agree with Maizey, is it possible to attack the infection from both directions?

FC xx

Tinsel
30-08-2008, 08:00 AM
Poor Bugsy and poor you! Hope this can be resolved somehow - vibes to you both!

Jack's-Jane
30-08-2008, 08:23 AM
The bacteria in Bugsy ears are sensitive to Baytil.can you get baytril in ear drop form and would it be worth keeping him on the ceporex and asking for ear drops which are sensitive to these bacterias so The ear infection can be attacked from both ways?

A bacteria specific abx eardrop would be good. Dont attempt to put oral or injectible Baytril into his ear canal though!! Ask you Vet if there are any other preparations which contain a suitable abx.
Has he had systemic Baytril- a long course- at least 6 weeks ?

Sorry if you have already mentioned this......:oops:

Maizey
30-08-2008, 10:49 AM
A bacteria specific abx eardrop would be good. Dont attempt to put oral or injectible Baytril into his ear canal though!! Ask you Vet if there are any other preparations which contain a suitable abx.
Has he had systemic Baytril- a long course- at least 6 weeks ?

Sorry if you have already mentioned this......:oops:

Hi Jane I have given him a six week course of ceporex.I was injecting him twice daily with 1.34mls for the first two weeks then once daily with 1.34mls.Do you know if It is possible for him to have a consious ear flush as I think his ears are going to have to be flushed again and I dont want him to keep having a GA

Maizey
30-08-2008, 10:53 AM
Thank you everyone for your kind words and vibes.It seems this bacteria problem runs riot in my bunnies.Abscesses on paws,amputations and now Bugsys ears.I really hope I can get It under control.I know I will have to clean his ears for life which isnt a problem I just dont want him to be uncomfortable.It must be awful for him to have a constant ear infection.

sweetcheeksemma
30-08-2008, 11:08 AM
Poor bun
Get well soon Bugsy :)

xxx

Maizey
30-08-2008, 06:48 PM
Does anyone know if It Is possible to do a conscious ear flush as I don't want Bugsy to have a GA every couple of months?

Jack's-Jane
30-08-2008, 07:00 PM
I think the stress of having it done whilst awake would be more of a risk than a GA, especially if there is active infection as that would make the proceedure painful.

Maizey
30-08-2008, 07:23 PM
This is turning into another nightmare.Im really wishing now that I didnt bring him here.I love him so much and it looks like we are going down the same road again.Why cant some one have a cure for this:evil::evil::evil::evil:bacterial problem

animal ry
30-08-2008, 07:29 PM
This is turning into another nightmare.Im really wishing now that I didnt bring him here.I love him so much and it looks like we are going down the same road again.Why cant some one have a cure for this:evil::evil::evil::evil:bacterial problem

ohhh no so sorry :( hope they find something that will help at least :?:(:)

Maizey
02-09-2008, 07:37 AM
Im taking Bugsy back to the vets today as Im sure his ear infection is back.Please can he have lots of vibes and please If you have any spare can I have some for my old GSD girlie as she has been passing blood since yesterday and Is also going to the vets.

Fairy13
02-09-2008, 09:49 AM
Loads of vibes for Bugsy, your GSD and of course for you. Good luck x x

Jack's-Jane
02-09-2008, 10:04 AM
Oh I am sorry to read that Bugsy and your GSD are poorly :cry:

Please let us know how they get on

xx

SOAD
02-09-2008, 10:34 AM
Oh no sending lots of vibes.

bunny babe
02-09-2008, 07:08 PM
How did they get on at the vets?

Maizey
02-09-2008, 07:27 PM
Thank you for your vibes and kind words.I took Bugsy to see my vet and she thinks there is just a lot of wax,no perforated ear drums,but his right ear seems to be worse than his left and Is very inflamed and a bit of thickening of the ear canal.We have changed antibiotics to baytril,6ml once daily and I have Aurizon drops to put in his ear canal once daily.I'm just preying this will work.My lovely vet also said that putting things into the ear aggravate it and if we can get his ears clear then maybe stop putting Otoclean/almond oil into his ears for a while to see if that stops the excessive wax production.
Lottie my lovely GSD may have ulcerated intestines.She has been given a steroid injection and abx.If she is no better in two/three days then she will have a scan to rule out a growth in her bowel.The plus side is she hasn't lost weight she has put on a kilo.I'm quite happy at the mo but as always I wont hold my breath that every thing will turn out fine and dandy

animal ry
02-09-2008, 07:29 PM
oi hope it does turn out fine for you!!!! you deserve it :wave:

jackiestone
02-09-2008, 07:31 PM
I am glad you have a good vet and I hope that Bugsy and your doggy will get better quickly:DMy Lab had to go to the vets for shaking his ears,one vet said he needed antibiotics,they didnt work so we went to see the other vet at the practice and he said Archie had loads of wax in one ear,we seem to be at the vets all the time too,thinking of you :love:

Maizey
02-09-2008, 07:49 PM
Thank you so much,Fairy13,Jacks-Jane,Tree,bunny-babe,Ryan and Jackie for your vibes:love::love::love::love:

Jack's-Jane
02-09-2008, 08:05 PM
I really hope they will both respond well to treatment.
More vibes on their way !!

Maizey
09-09-2008, 07:02 PM
I took Bugsy back to the vets today.His ears are still producing excessive amounts of was but there is no puss and no inflammation.I have another weeks worth of Aurizon to give him.My vet doesn't seem to happy and said that I need to keep a very close eye on him.Please can my darling little Bugs have some healing vibes.

billysmom
09-09-2008, 07:07 PM
Sending loads, loads of healing vibes for Bugsy.xxxxxx

Maizey
09-09-2008, 07:10 PM
Sending loads, loads of healing vibes for Bugsy.xxxxxx

Thank you

Amy & Amber
09-09-2008, 07:13 PM
((())) sending vibes xxx

Maizey
09-09-2008, 07:14 PM
((())) sending vibes xxx

Thank you I will pass them on to My baby boy

jackiestone
09-09-2008, 07:28 PM
sending you lots of vibes love from Stumpy :love:

SOAD
09-09-2008, 07:30 PM
Lots of vibes :love:

Maizey
09-09-2008, 07:31 PM
Thank you Stumpie:love::love::love::love:Jackie and Tree

Jack's-Jane
09-09-2008, 07:37 PM
Loads of vibes for Bugsy :)

Maizey
09-09-2008, 07:55 PM
Thank you Jane

Maizey
09-09-2008, 08:27 PM
Can Bugsy have some more vibes from you lovely people please?

billysmom
09-09-2008, 08:34 PM
Sending sackfulls for the lovely Bugsyxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Maizey
09-09-2008, 08:35 PM
Sending sackfulls for the lovely Bugsyxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Aww thank you hun.You keep sending my big man loads of vibes:love::love: