• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit shampoo

Lread

Young Bun
I'm finally rescuing my aunties long hair lion head this weekend.

I have a feeling that it is going to be quite dirty and matted.

So I'm planning on a trip to the vets on Tuesday next week.

I have brought some rabbit wet wipes to clean his rear end, and was planning to remove some of the matted hair.

I was wondering is it advisable to buy some rabbit shampoo and clean her that way?

Any advice appreciated. Louise

I use baby shampoo for Mistys botty now an again, I guess its not the best thing but needs must. I wouldnt completley soak her as she will prolly freeze to death :shock:

I haven't ever used a shampoo to be honest. I have cut off or shaved the worst affected areas when a bunny that has come in has needed it, and I have then used warm/tepid water to wash the area. Bunny may be able to get and have a go at cleaning up his/her self if the worst bits are removed. I would always try and dry bunny thoroughly too if you can.:D

When my bunny had a dirty bum I used to fill the bathroom sink with couple of inches of warm water and then let her stand with her front paws on the front of the basin. She didnt mind this... I then used to manipulate the muck out of her fur with my fingers and sometimes used a bunny shampoo ... rinse well and towel dry off...

That way only a tiny bit of her got wet and she didnt mind it too much.

Back