• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Has Your Rabbit had the 'Cylap Limp'? Please help get Lapinject at my vets!

parsnipbun

Wise Old Thumper
Hi

The overall head vet at my vets is reluctant to get in the Lapinject VHD jab because it has to be all used on the same day. I have made it clear I want Lapinject after having had a very bad case of Cylap limp with one of mine - and my own vet (ie not the overall manager/owner vet) is willing to support me if I can show that others have had 'Cylap limp'.

SO can anyone that has experienced this please just reply to this thread briefly to say what happened to them then maybe I can get my vets to change!

Also if any of you vet nurses or vets have changed to Lapinject can you just add a note on?

Many Thanks

(PS although I have lots of buns they don't all have their VHD jabs at once - so can't use a whole bottle!).

I'm a vet nurse and my boss will only get CYLAP in, because they come in their individual doses. We probably get through 10 doses in a month, so the CYLAP is a lot more economical.
I've always used it with my own buns and never had a problem...but obviously that doesn't mean that nobody else experiences problems!
I can see where you're coming from, and in a big busy practice it would be ideal to use Lapinject in a multi-dose vial, but in quiet/small practices it works out an extremely expensive way of vaccinating buns, and the costs would then be passed onto bunny owners, making vaccinations a lot more expensive than they need to be,
Perhaps the way to go about it is to pester the manufacturers to create single-dose vials.... I know we'd probably swap over if they did :)

I went to my vets this week, having put off my VHDs while I kept deliberating whether to go for Cyclap or Lapinjet. I had previously spoken with the vet and said about the concerns of some members regarding the Cyclap and she asked me to give her some info (which I failed to do). When I arrived for my appointment I said I thought I had better get them vaccinated and that I was nervous of giving them Cyclap. She then said, if I preferred, she would get me in some Lapinjet. I decided that, for us, to be non vaccinated was worse the risk of the Cyclap (as we previously had had no problems) so I went for the Cyclap on the day, and thankfully he was fine. I only did one bunny though as Im doing one at a time.

If I were you and my bun had previously had a problem then I would find a vet who would give me what I wanted. My vet offered to get me in the Lapinjet without my asking and I would hope yours would. Is it worth phoning other practices to see what they use and just get your VHDs somewhere else?

Last edited:
Evo's never had a limp, but has reacted badly to Cylap in the past. I've not used Lapinject, but I'd like to try in the future. I'm sure I've heard/read somewhere that the Lapinject multi dose vials aren't much more expensive than a single Cylap dose, but I could be wrong on that one.

One of my bridge bunnies, Minnie-the-Minx, developed a cylap limp and swelling a few years ago, and Dudley has also had a localised swelling reaction to it in the past.

My vet keeps both cylap and lapinject in stock, and they just look at the appointments list each morning to determine which to use. She said some days they have none or one booked in, other days can have 10+ so it's simplest just to keep both in stock.

I know of numerous ( 25+ ) cases of post CYLAP VHD Vaccine limp. Not all mine though. Three of mine were effected, but that was a few years ago. I now use LAPINJECT ( my Vet allows me to vaccinate my Buns myself ) I can usually co-ordinate it to do 5 Buns on the same day ( each bottle contains 5 doses ). But if I have a dose or 2 over I pop them over to ARC so as a couple of Rescue Buns can be vaccinated and therefore no doses are wasted. I think the 5 dose bottle of Lapinject costs £17. So if you only need a couple of doses and you are near a Rescue you could maybe donate the remaining doses to them. This would involve arranging in advance for the Rescue to get their Buns vaccinated on the same day as yours as once opened the 5 dose bottle must be used within 8-10 hours.

Janex

My 2 had the limp from their VHD. It lasted a few days. Glad it happened to both of them though, as at first I though Douglas had broken his leg!!

ive never even heard of this....kermit will be getting his VHD when he gets better, i think i should go for the lapinject then as he has head tilt and would be totally messed up if he got a limp too!!!

bumpity bump - as need to get a range of replies to my vet before they have their monthly staff meeting tomorrow.

Hi

The overall head vet at my vets is reluctant to get in the Lapinject VHD jab because it has to be all used on the same day. I have made it clear I want Lapinject after having had a very bad case of Cylap limp with one of mine - and my own vet (ie not the overall manager/owner vet) is willing to support me if I can show that others have had 'Cylap limp'.

SO can anyone that has experienced this please just reply to this thread briefly to say what happened to them then maybe I can get my vets to change!

Also if any of you vet nurses or vets have changed to Lapinject can you just add a note on?

Many Thanks

(PS although I have lots of buns they don't all have their VHD jabs at once - so can't use a whole bottle!).

I think the vet you are using is trying to have you over a bit om this one if you do'nt mind me saying.

The actual cost of 1 dose of cylap is the same as a 5 dose vial of lapinject to a vet.We get our vaccines through the rspca and we initially went over to the lapinject partly because of cost......yes we try to get 5 doses out of the vial but as the cost is the same as 1 dose cylap we have been known to just use it the once when there are no other buns who require it.

Your vet is just trying to make over 5 times the profit. Maybe you should let your vet know that you know this is the case and make noises about going elsewhere if they persist.:)

Thanks Jane!

My own vet (ie the one I always see - well quite a lot really - about once a week!! lol and is VERY rabbit savvy) is fine about the Lapinject and keen to go ahead - but has to convince the main owner of the practice who is NOT a rabbit person!

Ps Was 'Wise Old Thumper' catagory invented just for you!!!

one of my buns had a very nasty skin reaction to Cylap vaccine and developed a fifty pence size area of sore weeping skin which took eight weeks to finally heal. it was at the injection site and grew to fifty pence size over a few days.

as a result of the reaction i no longer vaccinate my buns against VHD. the skin reaction looked like a third degree burn and was very sore for the rabbit.

Well the 'old' and 'thumper' bit probably was :lol:

Janex

:lol::lol::lol:

Know how you feel some days!!!

We call our oldest rabbit 'wise old pea' - his name is Sweet Pea (Ok so I misheard 'Sweep' when we got him from the rescue:lol::lol: ) and he does thump more than the younger ones!

Hi
I am so confused now.:?
Sorry for being so ignorant.:oops:

I thought that there was just a VHD jab and that was it, and I needed to get it done. So I have booked Eric and Ernie in for 2 weeks time.
Is this thread meaning that the jab can be done using two different "chemicals"?
If so, should I be asking my vet what he uses?
Please can someone explain, why I need to vacinate and what I should be asking for?
What are the pros and cons for each?

oooh I'm so out of my depth - again. Sorry Everyone.

Back