• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

PLEASE REPLY! SUGGESTIONS APPRECIATED Fractured hind leg recovery

robbo0510

New Kit
My buuny minnie broke her hind leg 4 months ago, we took her to a night vet who said there was nothing for her. So we opted to a second opinion from our own vets who are well up on fractures in small animals. They pinned her leg and the pin has been in for four months, the only downfall is her leg sticks out to the side due to the restriction from the pin, this makes her struggle moving around. The bone has fused and the vets decided to shorten the pin last week and then asess her again in 4 weeks. Her leg still sticks out to the side. Has anybody been through this before and do you think she will eventually be able to bring her leg back in ?

Last edited:
I have no experience with hind leg fractures, but I know bunnies cope very well with splayed legs so she could do just fine. If it is restricting her movement too much and you think she is is too much discomfort then I would consider other options...

I have no experience of fractures Im afraid but wanted to send lots of healing vibes to your bunny :)

Hi
I have a rabbit few years ago that fractured her back leg unfortunately she had to have it removed. She adapted very well however was bullied by our other rabbit at the time and had to be kept seperate. she died 2yrs after the op.
Hope your gets better.

I don't know a lot about the precise problem but I have a friend with a rabbit with splay legs (deformity not accidental) and he does really well.

I thought it was worth mentioning that this little rabbit has gone through a couple of patches of bad balance and looking miserable, they did wonder if it was fair to keep him going .... it turned out the balance issue was probably due to wax in his ears (he can't clean them as most rabbits do), once his ears were cleaned he was happy again.

Good luck with your bunny.

there is an excellent bun vet that we use in watford (pm me if you want his details) he will advise you over the phone
hope bun gets better really soon:)

Back