• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How tall is the Happy Hutch run?

abbymarysmokey

Wise Old Thumper
...on the 6ft Ebay combo?

I've told Dom that we can go away for a few days to the sea-side as long as I can have a new hutch :oops:

I'm thinking about the HH combo, but I don't want the ramp to be too steep, so would prefer a shorter run.

The one in my combo is 2 ft high, but I think they have changed the measurements and now the runs are only 20" high. But even with the 2ft, the ramp is not all that steep. I put one of those log roll tunnels under the bottom end of the ramp to make it a bit less steep, too. It is a wider ramp than in the Ryedale hutch.

I found a photo, which shows what I do and how steep and wide the ramp is then. We added some little side bits to the ramp later, so that the bunnies would not slip off and down the sides. They usually don't, but when Sunnie was still in there, she got chased quite a bit and it was difficult to use the ramp at full speed. We also added a few more little steps.

comfybunnies.jpg

Last edited:
Cheers Gisela :D

I think they should manage a 20 inch ramp okay. I like what you've done with yours...I might have to pinch your idea :lol:

It works fine, as long as your bunnies are the size of Luna (3 kg) or smaller. When you make the ramp less steep, then the opening at the top gets smaller. I also have a log roll tunnel at the top end:

logtunnel.jpg

And here you can see what we did to the sides of the ramp and the extra step:

newhay1.jpg

Does the ramp fix in place, or is it easy to dislodge?

I have one of the 'other' 6ft combos off ebay, and the ramp isn't fixed so the buns pull it out of position and end up getting stuck downstairs in the run :roll:

It does slide forwards and backwards a bit. I used to have a brick to keep it in place:

sunday5.jpg

Now I have those two log roll tunnels, which keep it from moving about too much. You could also screw in two little stoppers at the top end. They never managed to completely dislodge it, but once the piece of wood that keeps the ramp in the opening, broke off, because it was only stapled to the ramp. Luckily I was in the garden at that time, and no bunny was hurt. We then used screws to attach the piece of wood again.

Hi, I recently bought one of these hutches of ebay, the height of the run is 20", the ramp isn't steep and my buns manage no problem, my ramp stays in place, the only problem I have had is, we had a long lie last sunday:oops: the buns are usually fed and ramp put down for them at about 6.30am but when I went to see to them about 9.30:oops: they had somehow :shock: managed to lift the trapdoor and one of them had got down into the run (they have a tunnel thinggy that sits underneath the hutch so must have jumped onto that first to get down) Think they had got fed up waiting for me, so lesson learned..........NO MORE LIE-INS for me.

Does the ramp fix in place, or is it easy to dislodge?

I have one of the 'other' 6ft combos off ebay, and the ramp isn't fixed so the buns pull it out of position and end up getting stuck downstairs in the run :roll:

Mine kept doing this, so we've cable tied the ramp to the back of the hutch (to the wire). MJ was not impressed as he enjoyed moving the ramp around, but as you say they got stuck downstairs :roll:

When I first got mine MJ and Pippa wouldn't use the ramp for at least a month and stupid mummy was carrying them between two. I eventually carpeted the ramp to make it less slippery which worked. Opal had no problem and has decarpeted the ramp and her and MJ fly up and down it now.

Oh, and mine have 24/7 access so removing the ramp isn't necessary, otherwise cable tying wouldn't work :)

I have this hutch

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RABBIT-HUTCH-...photoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

but i asked for the run to be made 2ft tall as well (24 inches) it makes all the difference!! They can use the ramp no problem at all, both sets of bunnies.

The higher run combo cost £150 per unit, i am very happy with them, excellent quality and the extra run height means a medium size bun can periscope properly

pics here http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=121954&highlight=hutches

You'd be surprised I'm sure they'd get up if they really wanted to. After Willow was spayed I took the ramp out her Thistle hall hutch to confine her a bit for the first couple of days so she didn't hurt herself. She actually jumped up the top - I nearly had a heart attack thinking she was gonna tear her stiches!

Back