• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits & Long haul flights?

Gem

Wise Old Thumper
Not really a viable idea is it?

Anyone done it?

Not particularly New Zealand but anywhere where the flight is over say 8 hours, are they likely to cope with it or is it up to the individual animal?

Last edited:
:)

I know Someone brought a bun to england all the way from japan.. and people seem to fly rabbits across the US quite often but I think a flight to New Zealand (I'm just presuming) would be too far :(

I would consider doing it if they could travel in the passenger cabin. I wouldn't do it if they have to go into the cargo hold though.

The reason you hear about lots of people in the US doing it is mainly because some of the US airlines allow pets to travel with their owners

I wouldn't risk it.
They would most likely have to go in the cargo hold and being panicky prey animals anyway being in a cold scary cargo hold with other animals which could range from dogs, birds to large zoo animals I would imagine would be very stressful and I would not risk it.

I think if you do a search other people have asked the same before.

The problem is it's not just the time of the actual flight - they'd have to be checked in hours before the flight left so that adds up. Then they'd be in the freezing hold for hours :? And if it is long haul like NZ, then they'd be on the plane over 24 hours, with a change over. You wouldn't be able to check on them for all that time. And then they'd be in quarantine for ages.

Having said that, if they are fit and healthy then maybe it could be done :? .

I had originally intended to have my cat come and live with me if I don't come from backpacking, but I'm not sure it's such a good idea - it would be an ordeal, so maybe she'd be happier staying with my Mum.

I personally wouldnt do it. It was stressful enough for me going to NZ so putting an animal through it wouldnt be fair.

I'd be worried about their ears too. Our ears pop in flights and rabbits are more sensitive not to mention the noise of a plane. Friend of mine recently took her cats with her in the cabin (US domestic flight) and she said she'd never do it again, they were sick and of course wanted to get out so they weren't sitting in it.

Rabbits can't fly in the cabin, even on domestic US flights (I work for a US airline). We transport pets in the hold on a daily basis and the majority of them arrive the other end fine. The Captain is aware that there's livestock in the hold and it's heated.

The main cause of death of pets in flight is as a result of being given a tranquiliser... the lowered heart rate along with reduced oxygen in the air is potentially fatal.

We have transported rabbits occasionally and I haven't been advised of anything happening to them. Years ago we carried a hamster on the 11 hour flight from Heathrow to Los Angeles and the family did email me to advise it had arrived safe and sound so if a little hammy can cope, I see no reason why a healthy rabbit can't.

One consideration would be that it would be without hay for the duration of going to the US as you're not allowed to put hay or straw in the kennel.

Rabbits can't fly in the cabin, even on domestic US flights (I work for a US airline). We transport pets in the hold on a daily basis and the majority of them arrive the other end fine.

Some do as long as you've got an approved pet carrier...you can carry pets in much the same way as hand luggage...ask on any American rabbit forum :D

Some do as long as you've got an approved pet carrier...you can carry pets in much the same way as hand luggage...ask on any American rabbit forum :D
So that's why some Americans get stroppy with me when I explain that the buns have to go in the hold because of the risk posed to wires if they escape. The airline I work for allows cats,dogs and household birds in the cabin only (and chihuahas are the common pet at the mo.... bloomin' noisy yappy things :lol:)

Found one that does allow rabbits, hamsters and ferrets on board and that's Delta... throws my arguement about the wires out the window.

Last edited:
One consideration would be that it would be without hay for the duration of going to the US as you're not allowed to put hay or straw in the kennel.

I forgot your an airline worker :oops:

What about veggies & pellets?

Presumably you could give them those at the beginning of their flight, obviously they'd be all gone by mid way through the flight, surely thats better than nothing :?

The main problem as I see it, will be lack of food & no one at the other end realising how important it is to give them some straight away or be able to recognise stasis symptoms :(

Id never do it. 90 percent of the rabbits ive known and kept would die. Infac i think only Earl would have survived a trip like that, he was so laid back. But several hours of stress through checkin, then a LONG time in that noisy hold full of dogs, cats etc, then arriving at the other end, quarantine, hecks and whatever? No way. Most buns would not make it, and id be scared about the health of the ones that did

Back