• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poo

HelB

Warren Scout
I was wondering what the correct consistency of poo is! My 7mth old lionhead x is on supa rabbit junior/dwarf rabbit and his poo changes quite a bit. Most days it is a lovely light brown colour, sometimes really dark but sometimes its a bit wet looking. I'm wondering if i'm just seeing cecotrophes? He does most of his poo in the litter tray. Maybe i'm just being overly cautious as he seems to only do these when he has had a lot of veg or hay!

He is a bright healthy bun and gets plenty of variety. Do you think now is the correct age to move up to supa rabbit excel as I dont really know if its right to class him as junior still?! Could this be why his poos vary, maybe its now too rich for him?

Ps. He has a daily hay ball of forage excel as well and veg

Ps. He has a daily hay ball of forage excel as well and veg

Bunny poo that is 'golden' is healthiest. cecotrophes look like mini bunch of grapes (all joined in a bunch)

What is a ball of forage excel i've never seen it in the shops?

Hope this helps. :D

Aaah i was panicking for nothing, those wet poos do look like they are joined together so probably are cecotrophes. Must be why i dont see them that often!

I bought a ball shaped hay manager and I fill it with forage excel (hay by the same people who make the food) so its a ball shape and i hang it up so he really has to stretch to get his hay!

Any idea about changing the food from junior to regular?

:wave: if they are dry to pick up?! and perfectly round they are great, if not then you have to re think the diet..
if they are wet/sticky?! and misshapen then you need to cut back on things..
i think that a lionhead should be having about 1 handful of mix a day ,and as your bun is only 7 months thenyou should only be giving greens about every other day and roughly 1 large green leaf or hlf handful of kale (or the equivalent).also be careful not to feed too many or too much apples/carrots etc as these can make bottoms bad and be bad for buns health.
this should work it out...we had a dutch who always had the odd misshapen poo,but we would cut out greens for a day and then cut back on how much and how often.
all buns are different with tolerating foods its just getting used to their right daily amount.if you see diahorrea then you need to go straight to the vet.
hope this helps...:)
you shouldnt see ceacotrophes...this suggests too much nice food!so maybe cut back on both mix and greens.maybe no greens for a day or two first.
as for changing mixes it should be done very gradually,over a week or longer.
dont do it until botty is better and then swap about 10% of the junior for adult mix for 2 days then 20% again for 2 days and so on until bun is on the adult only.if botty gets bad while you are doing this wait before adjusting the mix ratio again!!:lol:

Last edited:
I've never seen any diarraoh or had any botty problems (I do try to be careful cos i'm so scared of flystrike!), i really just wanted to check that his poos are ok. I think maybe he has had a few too many greens on the days i have seen the cecotrophes - i think i will cut back a bit on pelletts when I give him veg. Saying that i try not to give him too many pellets cos i know this is bad too. Like you said, its just getting the balance right. Generally he has good poos cos they sometimes roll out of the litter tray when he does a bit of a flip!

I'm very gratefull for your help, its put my mind at rest! Thank you!

Back