• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Moving House

Apache

Mama Doe
hiya

I'm moving house very soon, and not quite sure how I should handle this for Alfred, he's a house rabbit, and normally lives in the kitchen.

I've got a couple of options, he can go to my parents for a few hours, but he will be on his own there, or I can put him in a hutch, and leave him in the house until its empty, then move him in my car. I don't see him liking either option really.

The afterwards I need to settle him into his new environment (again probably while removal men are unpacking all my stuff. But I also need to clean my old house too before I hand over the keys to the new owners.

Does anyone have any advice, as Alfred doesn't seem to like change.

I've stocked up on orchard grass (which he loves, but doesn't get very often), to keep tempting him to eat..

Many thanks

Apache

I think I'd take him to your mam's & keep him well clear of all the chemicals in the cleaning agents.

If you think he'll be lonely you could leave the radio or TV on - something that he'll recognise rather than something new would be best.

I would see if you can take him over to your mums for 24 hours before you move so that he doesnt have to struggle with the upheavel of the move.

Squidgy stayed with my dad for a couple of days while we got settled and moved all the heavy stuff around.
He then came to live with us, but in a small run in the corner (6' x 6') just to get him used to litter training in the new house. We built this up and now he has the run of the house when we're in and run of his room during the day.
He was fine with that, as his belongings travelled with him and he lived in the same run at my dad's, so it wasn't too stressful for him.

As long as he has loads of food, he'll be OK!!! That would swing it for my two. A bowl of carrot sticks - bunny heaven.

If I were you I think I would take your bun over to your parents where it would be nice & quiet for him. If you feel that he's going to miss you for the time your moving house you could wear an old T shirt the day before so it's covered in your nice smell & leave it with him whist your busy moving so he has something to snuggle upto:D I know it works for alot of dos so I can't see a reason why it won't for a bun:D

Thanks everyone - I'll take him over to my parents, I'll just take him over in the morning, then bring him back to my new house once the removal men have gone, and his new des res is sorted.

He's going to have the cupboard under the stairs, although I will add on a pen to give him soom room in the kitchen too, also need to take the door off the cupboard, and then line the space with vinyl, its even got a small door that opens into the lounge too :)

Ax

I'd definitely take him to your mums. We pick rabbits up from people who are moving, have them for a couple of days so they get moved in and then deliver the rabbit back to their new address - less stress for all concerned that way :) Good luck with the move:)

Back