• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mr Bun is a Mrs!!

yvette

Wise Old Thumper
Hello all.Took Mr Bun to the vets today to see if he was poorly due to new aggressive behaviour.Vet gave rabbit a clean bill of health,weighing in at 2.63 kg. Checked bottom half and Hey presto!! Little girl.Also visited previous owner.Mrs B is only about 8 or 9 months old.No longer wanted by them either.Doesnt it pee you off??
This is probably first season.Im stroking her and cuddling her and talking calmly.Those who didnt see previous post, this bunny is growling,biting etc.Im new to bunnies so im glad ive found the right place.Even told vet about you all so i have a valuable source of help and info.I want to keep this bunny but my other half wants me to get rid as she smells.Shes in the house so going to get old hutch from owner for a temp thing then get brand new decent hutch and run.mrs B currrently living in wire hutch in my bedroom!!
Vet said speying would be a good idea but has drawbacks cos of anaesthetic.I would like to keep hormones at bay for her sake and dont want pymetras and gynae problems.What do you think?? Is it a good idea? I want her to be like she was.Relaxed,happy and a nice bunny to cuddle, so im doing all i can.She is a real poppet.

Something similar happened to me. I was told Atlantis was a girl, but when I was combing Lannie, I noticed something and the vet confirmed it when he went for his vaccines.

It didn't bother me, I'd love him either way :)

Yes, spaying is definitely a good idea, both from the health and temperament point of view. You might find she's an even nicer house pet after she's been done. I don't know what the smell issues are but these might be improved.

Last edited:
I've just found your other thread to see what you had to say. This bunny was really lucky that as a stray you found her, I can't believe the previous owner didn't want her back (makes me wonder if she actually let her out to get rid). I think you'll do brilliantly at turning the temperament of this bunny round, it sounds like she's had pretty bad experience so far as she was unwanted so probably had very little attention.

They do make excellent house pets if you can convince your other half, either way, I'm sure you'll be good for Mrs Bun!

How old is she? We had the same thing happen.........at 7 weeks Oliver was a boy, at 11 we were then told by our savvy vet "he" was a she....They are now 21 weeks and I found testicles last week! They are both booked for a nueter this week. Good luck!

We had a similar problem with martha, we were originally told "he" was a neutered male aged about 5, he used to hide at the back of the hutch and growl as soon as you tried to hand feed or stroke him - that was back in january over the coming months he learnt to trust us and will now come up to the bars of the hutch for food and let us carry him to the garden, took him to the vets for his first jab and was told "he" was a she!! - aged 18 months/2yrs.she is due to be spayed next week and she does seem to get moody still - but we are glad she's ours, she has a lovely personality and will soon have her own male companion:love:

vets

Ive decided to spay her and rang the vets to ask questions. ie, how many bunnies do they see a week/month/year. The reply was about 30 rabs a year.The vet said she had spayed 3 and all had survived but to have a good reason to spay. I said the temper of this little lady is a bit much and the risks of cancer are high. I then asked would she starve the animal prior to surgery and she said NO! she said the bunny would have food up to surgery.but she didnt say about the after care.ie pain relief and appetite thingys to get it going again.Do you think they know what they are doing? I think they do but she was the vet and by the sounds of things, altho she didnt actually say,she wanted to get off the phone. she did ask if the rabbit was fat as they dont think its right to operate on an overweight bunny and i told her that the vet i did see was very pleased with her condition.she was pleased with that reply.mmm. Me thinks more questions?? she said she would ring me to re arrange the appointment if she couldnt do it as i want a specific day.i just need reassurance thats all.you hear all sorts of horror stories.I have ferrets and some vets are just useless with those.I know more at times!!

I think I'd try to find a more experienced vet. For an experienced rabbit vet spaying is a routine op and though any anaesthetic is a risk it should be a very small one.

Hi this happened to me too, i thought i had a little boy, but the vet confirmed he was a she :oops::lol::lol:.Must admit i hate the thought of having her speyed but i will, but im really unsure STILL which vet to use, mind blowing.Best of luck.Debx:D

Hi
Found out my 'Harvey' was a girl which was quite funny at the time as I had just taken 'him' in to be neuteured! :oops::lol:

spoke to another vet today and she ssaid they do a lot of guinea pigs.she also said that she would put fluid subcutaneously to aid recovery and give painkillers and somthing else to aid recovery.an injection i think.dunno which vet sounds best.

what location are you we can try and suggest some good vets a good vet for rabbits sees at least 3 rabibts a week...on the day of doras spey my vet nicola said she had done a pair of buns earlier the week 2 the previous day and had another 3 rabbits in at same time.(1 was a stray) so 3 a year is not good enough. 3 speys a week i would think is low-average. she keeps small animals seperate from cats and dogs and ensures that a bonded pair(unless mixed sex and both unneutered) go in together for any major probs for company and explained the whole procedure and after care to me they did a pre op check of everything....then 2 post op checks she had pain relie in form of injection and a gut stimulant i was allowed to come in and collect more pain relief should i feel she needed it which she didnt.

I've had a look on the Rabbit Welfare Association website and there is a recommended vet in Ivybridge, I don't know if that's near enough.

I can go back for the details if it is. I'm sure a personal recommendation from an RU member would be better if we can get one.

Back