• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Myxi Jabs

Hello Again
I have only been on the forum once before, and never introduced Myself Properly.
So Hi Everyone.:wave:
I have 2 Lionhead/mini lop rabbits - 14 weeks old. Both Male
I know you have probably been asked this a million times already, but I need some advice Asap.:oops:

Eric and Ernie are going for their first Mixi jabs tomorrow morning.:?
I have a few questions, I'm sure someone out there can answer:
1. How and where do they administer the jab? Will I be holding the rabbits or does the vet hold them?
2. DO the rabbits need supervision afterwards or are they o.k to put back in their run straight away.
3. Are there any side effects that I should be looking out for?:(
4. Are they likely to go off their food?
5. Is this a one off jab or do they have to have them annualy?

Sorry to be so clueless, but I am new to this and rely on this brilliant sight for all my support and help.

I didn't realise what a wonderful world, rabbit world is!!!!

P.S is it worth asking the vet to advise on timings for their nutering. They are getting a bit fiesty now and I really don't want to seperate them.
Thanks in advance for your help.
When I get time, I'll post some pics of "My Boys" They're Fab!;)

xxxx

Last edited:
Hope this helps :)

1. The vet will probably hold him but I guess it depends on the individual vet. Most of the injection will go under the skin, probably in the back of the rabbit. Make sure that 10% is administered into the skin, ask your vet about this before he does it. If he doesn't know what you are talking about take them to another vet instead.
2. Keep an eye on them but they can go back into the run.
3. Watch that they are still eating. They can be affected for a while but it usually passes. Anything major seek a vet.
4. Possibly but not most of the time. If they do you might need to see a vet, it is important that rabbits keep eating
5. It's recommended to doa booster after 12 months or 6 months in high risk areas.

Generally the males can be done as soon as you can see their testicles. I would get them both done 2 weeks after the VHD vaccine. The sooner the better to stop fighting .Talk to your vet about this :)

Hi :wave:

I would just add that the part that goes into the skin should preferably be put into the base of the ear.

I would recommend getting them myxi vac every 6 months and also VHD needs to be done 2 weeks after the myxi vac once a year.

Also if you are getting your boys neutered I would recommend leaving at least 2 weeks between vaccinating and neutering :D

don't be afraid to say about the 10% in the base of the ear/in the skin. the vets at my practice know me as "the one who knows everything". Unfortunately not all vets are rabbit savvy. :D

yes ask the vet about neutering, he/she might even suggest it, mine did :D

Last edited:
Echo everything above my vet was great and did a bit in the base of the ear and the rest in the scroff of the neck. My rabbits were a bit scared and just sat quietly on my kneee but I know my mums rabbit has to be held down. You have to leave at least two weeks between mxy and VHD but thats not such a bad thing it means they are getting very regular check ups.

Hello and welcome the forum. :wave:

1. How and where do they administer the jab? Will I be holding the rabbits or does the vet hold them?Its usually in the scruff and near the ear
2. DO the rabbits need supervision afterwards or are they o.k to put back in their run straight away.Not usually just keep an eye on them to make sure OK
3. Are there any side effects that I should be looking out for? I believe some rabbits have a reaction
4. Are they likely to go off their food? Honey's usually tired for about any hour or so but doesn't usually go off her food
5. Is this a one off jab or do they have to have them annualy? Needs to be done every six months

Good idea to ask the vet about neutering as well.

Looking forward to pics.

Thanks Everyone - feeling reaasured now.
Will let you know how it went!!!!

Very nervous bunny Mummy

P.S the Boys have had 2 fights tonight, so the hormones are really raging now.
Will definately seek advise on neutering with the Vet tomorrow. Just hope we can get through this time, until Ops have been done!! Would like not to have to seperate them.If I do, how easy will it be to bond them again later?

Thanks again all,

Jessica Rabbit!!!!

mixi Jabs - update and fights!

Hi Everyone
Thanks for all the advice yesterday. The jabs went fine and both boys behaved themselves.

Re the Neutering:
have been advised that they can be done in 4 weeks time. (VHD jab in 2 weeks)

Unfortunately, we had 3 instances of fights last night. One in the garden, One in their run and one overnight in their hutch. Which resulted in an ear being bitten. Vet says not to worry about the wound. So with a feeling of great sadness,:( I haved made the decision to seperate them. They both have a hutch and a run each now. I worry for them, especiall the smaller one, as they love to cuddle up together. Hoping I may be able to bond them again in a couple of months when op has been done.

Anyway thanks again everyone.:)

Jessica Rabbit (And Eric and Ernie)

Back