• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice re: New Kittens, weaning and rebonding

VALM

Young Bun
Hello, I've read many posts on this forum and it seems like there are a lot of experienced people out there who can give me the much needed advice I am after however after reading the thread concerning Ruby I hope that no-one is going to flame me!

We have two Netherland Dwarves (a buck and a doe named Max and Millie respectively). We had our buck neutered last week and would have liked to have had him done sooner however our vet wanted the two bunnies to have their vaccinations first. We didn't separate the rabbits then and I know in hindsight we should have but they have bonded really well.

Anyway on Saturday I noticed that Millie was nest building (her poor front paws look almost bald!) and nipples had grown on her underbelly. We took her to the vet who confirmed she was pregnant and in the very late stages.

Anyway on Sunday morning Millie gave birth and we have sought advice immediately from the vet who has told us to leave Millie to care for them, not to touch the kittens or the nest and separate her from Max. We have got a new hutch and Max is living in there - we have placed the hutches opposite each other on our patio so that the rabbits can still see each other.

I know that Millie has to wean the kittens - am I right in that this takes 8 weeks? Was just wondering how long we can leave things before we rebond Max and Millie? I also know that Max can still be fertile for up to 6 weeks following his castration but was wondering whether we would be ok to let them run around together in our living room as they did before if we ensure that he doesn't try to mount her. Am also conscious that Millie must not be stressed about anything as this can cause her to attack her kittens. Would the smell of Max on her cause problems if they were allowed to be together?

Am just seeking advice because I would really like our bunnies to return to the way they were- happily bonded.

Many thanks in anticipation of your good advice. Val

I'm afraid I'm not really an expert on this but I thought I would push your question up the list a bit!

Good luck.:)

Millie may well be pregnant again as you did not separate the until after the kits were born... does can get pregnant again straight after giving birth. Your vet was at fault here if s/he did not tell you to do so.
As your buck was neutered last week, he can be re-bonded with the doe once the babies have been weaned (provided no more kits come along!), but be careful when you re-bond (do it in a neutral area etc.) and bear in mind that your doe is likely to be hormonal still... it might be worth waiting to re-bond once she has been spayed?
I don't think it's a good idea to let them run together, even under supervision, as mating can be quick!

Millie may well be pregnant again as you did not separate the until after the kits were born... does can get pregnant again straight after giving birth. Your vet was at fault here if s/he did not tell you to do so.
As your buck was neutered last week, he can be re-bonded with the doe once the babies have been weaned (provided no more kits come along!), but be careful when you re-bond (do it in a neutral area etc.) and bear in mind that your doe is likely to be hormonal still... it might be worth waiting to re-bond once she has been spayed?
I don't think it's a good idea to let them run together, even under supervision, as mating can be quick!

Thanks for your response. :wave:

Back