• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits in the Garden

melw

Young Bun
Hi all,
I let my 2 rabbits (Katie and Angel) have the run of the garden once or twice a week and its lovely to see them being free but they seem to eat a lot of grass, does anyone know if they can eat too much? They have a large hutch and run underneath, but I love seeing them running around the garden that I would hate to have to stop letting them out, does anyone have any advice?
TIA x

Rabbits do naturally graze, sometimes for hours; it's a perfect environment for their teeth to keep working. i wouldn't stop them having the runtime that they do, I would just make sure that if they are munching loads then, modify what you feed them to avoid over feeding. My buns have access to hay 24/7, can much as much as they like out in the garden, I just make sure I don't then give them loads of pellets and veg on top.:D

Feeding is a much talked about subject, but hay is the number one necessity circa 85% of a buns food should ideally be hay with just 5% being a processed high fibre pellet. 10% veg ( mine have a real passion for spring greens):D. This is an ideal and there are plenty of special needs buns who have to vary on this, but it's good to try and aim for. Hope this helps :D

Lots of grass is the most natural thing a rabbit can eat :)

The only thing I would say is that if they don't normally eat grass I would gradually increase the amount they are allowed to eat just incase it upsets their stomach.

Thanks for your advice, Im glad I can still let them out, I wil just monitor their eating :)
I had rabbits when I was a kid, but these are my first babies since I got my own house :) so I feel like a novice :oops: :bunny:

:wave: Isn't it a joy to see bunnies running round the garden just being bunnies.. there's no better sight.

My grass is so short and bouncy and I haven't mowed it once in 2 years!! :D
My buns have free-range of the garden when I am home (their run is on paving slabs so i like to give them access to the rest of the garden)
They munch for hours, they even trim my bushes, shame they can't reach the top, I have to do that bit myself :roll:

My grass is so short and bouncy and I haven't mowed it once in 2 years!! :D
My buns have free-range of the garden when I am home (their run is on paving slabs so i like to give them access to the rest of the garden)
They munch for hours, they even trim my bushes, shame they can't reach the top, I have to do that bit myself :roll:

:lol: You could hire them out to do peoples lawns lol ;)

Only if they don't mind it being ferterlized at the same time, what goes in one end comes out the other in great quantity.
My lawn gets covered, I was tempted to hover it but thought my neighbours would think I was barmy hoovering the lawn :oops: I use a dustpan and brush instead.

Back