• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lonely rabbit

Hayley985

Young Bun
Hi,

My rabbit Milly was put to sleep on Friday, she had e cuniculi :cry:

It came on very quickly (thurs morning) and her condition deteriorated rapidly. We brought Monty and Milly home from when they were 6 weeks old and they were so well bonded. Milly and Monty only turned 1 last month.They went everywhere together and clearly loved each other very much.

When Milly was in intensive care at the Vets Monty was with her but now he has come back without her. He was previously kept outside but we have decided to move him indoors in his run so we can keep an eye on him. He seems very withdrawn, alot quieter than normal and has lost his adventurous streak! he is still eating and drinking.

We are basically unsure of what to do for the best. Is it making him more miserable being inside rather than his more familiar hutch. Is it best in the long run getting a new rabbit to keep him company, or the other option we are considering is bringing him inside permanently as a house rabbit. Help! its so difficult making these decisions as me and my partner are stll grieving for Milly.

Thanks
x

Sorry to hear about your girl :(

I think it's best for him to have a new partner. Given the other rabbit had EC it is very likely he has it too, so I would do a full course of Panacur on him, but I am not sure if he is old enough and what the dosage would be for someone so small.

First of all I would make sure that he is wormed if your other bun died from EC. I'd probably do 28 days to make sure and then give him a nine day course about 2-3 times a year (panacur paste, 1 graduation per 2.5 kg of bunny i.e. if he weighs under 2.5 kg give him one graduation)

It would be nice to keep him indoors with you whilst you work out what to do as he will get more company. I don't think keeping him inside would be making him mis......unless you put him outside for a bit and he cheers up considerably...some bunnys do prefer being outside.

In the long run he probably does need to have another bunny friend. Have a look on the rescue site when you feel ready. I'm sure you'll be able to find him a good lady friend.

Thanks for the help. He is currently being wormed on a 28 day course. Think we are gonna keep him inside for the near future. Then maybe rescue a mate for him in a few months. Thanks again!

i agree on getting him a friend - he is a very young bun so am sure would love someone new to have adventures with!

Sorry to hear about your bunny. Yes, I think a new bunny friend is a good idea. He's still very young so he's hopefull got many years ahead of him and it's lots better for him to have company. As well as finding a suitable partner, many rescues will do the bonding too for you as well which makes it less daunting.

In the short term you can get him a cuddly toy to groom and sleep with so he's no so lonely. :cry:

Oh I'm so sorry you've lost Millie - binky free little one x

I'd would definitely consider getting him another friend, when you've come to terms with losing Millie & have completed his course of Panacur. Even if you do decide to keep him as a housebun, he might still prefer company of another bun inside.

My condolences, may Milly binky free

In time, a friend would be best for one and all - house bunny or not.

Sterkte as the Dutch would say (it means something like 'be strong' but in a warm and positive way)

Back