• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Seperating bunnies

nottslady

Young Bun
Hello again,
I have had my bunnies for 3 weeks now and they are 13 weeks old on Wednesday. I have seperated them as they are male and female. They currently live in a 2 tiered hutch and so my fella has blocked the stairs off so that they cannot get to each other. I wondered if I should keep the male in the top and the female in the bottom all the time, or whether I should swap them around frequently so that they can be surrounded by the smell of the other one. Will this help or hinder the bonding process post speying/ neutering do you think? Thank you for your help.

Cate xxx

Personally I would leave them in the hutches youve got them in now as if you swap them around they will have each scents on and they will just mark the terriotry all the time. I know this from when I let my male bunny have a hop around my female bunnys room when she was in the garden and all he kept doing was digging up her blanket and weeing everywhere. Then when I brought her back in she wasnt happy at all and stopped weeing in her litter tray which was very annoying.

I have been doing this for 4 weeks with my bunnies (swapping them over - see my thread on slow bonding success) and they are now bonded. I think it helped in my case but I suppose it depends on the rabbits.

Back