• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Itchy spot on her back foot...

Laura416

Warren Scout
For several months, we've been noticing a dark spot on top of her back foot that she's always picking at. Not *always* :p but often.

The vet said it's probably just be a habit of hers, nothing to worry about and I'm kind of okay w/ that (we've been through much worse!) but still - is anyone here familiar w/ something like this? She isn't in pain, very happy & running, etc, but...yeah. Thanks for any insights!

Is it a front or back foot?

Is the spot a hock? (The small area on the heal with less fur covering)

Depending on the floor they are on some rabbits can get sore hocks. They are not always serious provided they are monitored and treated. Untreated however they can lead to infection.

Can you get a picture or perhaps describe the location of the spot? I'm sure more people will be able to make suggestions :)

Thanks! It's on the top of her left back leg; when she stretches it forward to clean, you can see it clearly and she lets me rub it...I'll add a pic but I bet you all know the position I'm talking about! (I don't have a digital camera but I can try w/ mine...will take a few days to develop lol). In this pic, she doesn't have it, obviously (plus it's the other leg :p ) By this pic, the dark mark - that looks darker on some days than others - would be about 1.5" in front of her nose.

She's on carpet all the time, or in the cage at night, so...nothing too irritating and it's on the top.

916510.JPG

Hello :wave:

If it's on the top, I'm afraid I don't know what it could be apart from some sort of skin complaint or perhaps simply an area that has paid particular attention to cleaning and has result in an irritation.

If she lets you touch it I can't imagine it's painful for her :) I hope someone else can shed some light on it for you :)

Back