• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

advice needed RE:3 week old babies

**lexi**

Warren Scout
Hi :wave:
Iv just come back from my holiday to find my 3 week old babies hopping around and having a good old time munching away on mum's pellets and veggies....im amazed how much they have changed in a week :shock:

Is it safe for them to be eating veggies at this age as im sure i have read somewhere that they can die from intestinal problems if they start too young :?

As long as they are not eating too many greens and having runny poo's then it's ok to let them eat a little. The problems start if you put a newly weaned bunny onto greens when they have never had them before and their stomach can't handle it. I had a foster litter here not so long ago who were eating greens at this age and were fine.

As long as their mother has been eating veggies while nursing them they'll be fine. I started feeding Aroma veggies while she was pregnant and one reason was in fact to get the babies used to it as early as possible. They'll get it through their mother's milk. Its like wild rabbits, they eat fresh grass all the time as...what else is there?:D

Hi :wave:
Iv just come back from my holiday to find my 3 week old babies hopping around and having a good old time munching away on mum's pellets and veggies....im amazed how much they have changed in a week :shock:

Is it safe for them to be eating veggies at this age as im sure i have read somewhere that they can die from intestinal problems if they start too young :?

As long as Mum has been eating Veg they will be fine to eat it too :) Just make sure that all veg is well washed and dried and that any uneaten is removed. I'd also avoid feeding Carrots and Fruit ( due to the sugar content which can upset gut flora )

Janex :)

I thought you shouldn't feed veg this early.

That's because rabbits have sensitive stomach, if they suddenly get new food they get dierreah. Young rabbits are even more sensitive to this, and dierreah in a baby bun can be lethal. Therefore a young rabbit who hasn't had vegetables before should wait, but if its mom eats vegetables, they've had this since birth and will naturally adjust to it.

Remember wild rabbits...they don't find much pellets and hay in the wilderness.

My babies were eating vege from an early age. They'd have everything Mum had. They only thing I've had to introduce to them is grass

Back