• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Vibes for my little Flora (piggy) please

Morrigan1981

Mama Doe
One of my guinea pigs, Flora, has emergency surgery for a pyometra about three weeks ago. She's been doing really well up until this afternoon, when I found her with her stitches all open and a load of pus in the open wound :cry: She's seen the vet every three days or so since her surgery because of some fluid retention around the stitches, but we didn't see this coming. In fact, my vet was really pleased with her progress on Thursday and had discharged her completely. The wound looked loads better.

Flora's at the emergency vets now, ungoing another GA to have the wound cleaned and re-stitched. Can I have lot of vibes that she makes it through OK, and the internal stitching is alright, please? She's a lovely little girl, and she's been through so much recently :(

One of my guinea pigs, Flora, has emergency surgery for a pyometra about three weeks ago. She's been doing really well up until this afternoon, when I found her with her stitches all open and a load of pus in the open wound :cry: She's seen the vet every three days or so since her surgery because of some fluid retention around the stitches, but we didn't see this coming. In fact, my vet was really pleased with her progress on Thursday and had discharged her completely. The wound looked loads better.

Flora's at the emergency vets now, ungoing another GA to have the wound cleaned and re-stitched. Can I have lot of vibes that she makes it through OK, and the internal stitching is alright, please? She's a lovely little girl, and she's been through so much recently :(

Oh No poor little soul :(

Sending millions of vibes for Flora

Janex

sending lots of vibes for little flora.hope all goes well and she feels much better soon.

tracey.

Thanks everyone. I'm still waiting for the emergency vet to ring and let me know how things have gone... I hope it's good news. Hopefully if Flora recovers well from the GA I'll be able to collect her tonight, but honestly, I'll be very surprised if she doesn't need an overnight stay :(

OMG I cant beleive this has happened to her, she was doing so well too:(. Give her a huge gentle cuddle from me Tracey when you see her again, you know she's my favourite little piggy.

Thanks everyone for your good wishes for Flora. We collected her from the emergency vets at about 10pm last night... she came round well from the GA and fortunately, when the vet cleaned away the infected skin she found that the internal stitches from Flora's op were fine, and that region was completely healed and clean, thank goodness. Flora was very sleepy and dozey last night but still managed to nibble a little veg and by this morning was her normal bright self again :D Hopefully she's going to be OK now, although the vet said that there's a risk that the wound might break down again, so we're not quite out of the woods yet :( She's really been through the mill recently :(

Also, as a precautionary note to other piggy owners out there, I've noticed that a few of the big name pet insurers are now offering piggy insurance too - I'd definitely recommend investing if you think you'd be unlikely to afford out of hours vet care. I don't think I'll be able to get cover from Flora now (they didn't even have GP insurance when I first got my girls :shock: ) but I'll be looking into it for Amber :D

Flora was back at the vets this morning for a check up and she's doing fine :D The wound looks much better for Sunday's surgery - all the puffiness and the heat around the wound has gone, so I'm feeling a lot more positive about it healing up properly now :D The vet warned us that there is still a chance that it might break down again ( :shock: ) but on the whole it's looking good. She'll be back for another check up in a few days time...

I think she's started to get a bit of a fan club amongst the vets at our practice now too... :love: :lol:

Thanks everyone for your good wishes for Flora. We collected her from the emergency vets at about 10pm last night... she came round well from the GA and fortunately, when the vet cleaned away the infected skin she found that the internal stitches from Flora's op were fine, and that region was completely healed and clean, thank goodness. Flora was very sleepy and dozey last night but still managed to nibble a little veg and by this morning was her normal bright self again :D Hopefully she's going to be OK now, although the vet said that there's a risk that the wound might break down again, so we're not quite out of the woods yet :( She's really been through the mill recently :(

Also, as a precautionary note to other piggy owners out there, I've noticed that a few of the big name pet insurers are now offering piggy insurance too - I'd definitely recommend investing if you think you'd be unlikely to afford out of hours vet care. I don't think I'll be able to get cover from Flora now (they didn't even have GP insurance when I first got my girls :shock: ) but I'll be looking into it for Amber :D

glad shes feeling much better.:) one of my piggies had 4 tumours removed 4 years ago and she unpicked her stitches twice. she ended up at the emergency vets on new years day night and it cost us £180 just for that operation alone :shock:that was on top of what we had spent on having them removed in the first place.

Back