• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Did you think a bunny would make such an impact?

~ Cat ~

Wise Old Thumper
Hi folks. Until a year ago I worked full time as a PA. I have bi-polar and BPD and have had to give my job up due to ill health after having part of my bowel removed which has led to my MH relapsing.

I didnt plan to get a bunny. I went into a pet shop for some fish food and saw Lola in a :censored:cage and fell in :love:. I left with Lola, it would of broken my heart to leave her.

I know about animal care. I worked for the RSPCA in their cattery as an animal home assistant, took every hamster they had home as no one wanted them, have four cats, ten fish and have fostered puppies so I am not some numpty who bought a rabbit and now regrests it.

However - I have had to bunny proof the living room, kitchen, my bedroom and the stairs. I spend my days looking for "num nums" for her, grooming her and helping her bond with the cats. The garden is now bunny friendly and I can happily leave her out there. She has scoffed my newly decorated living room, and peed all over my lovely fur rug.

Yes - its been :censored: hard work for a £15 bunny (add £100 for cage etc) BUT!!!! (dont shoot me yet)

I cant describe how much she has given back to me. I love my cats but they are very independent, they get fed, brushed and booger off for the day or sleep on the beds.

I melt when I see Lola, she makes me laugh so much and her antics are better than any anti depressant medication I have been on. She keeps me on my toes and on the days I cant be bothered getting out of bed due to my illness I know I have to as Lola needs feeding and attention.

Sorry for the maudling post - I am just a bit proud of my LolaBunnyBoo today! :love::love::love:

im so glad that you feel like this, i always thought that buns were a bit boring and that they pooed too much, however we decided to get one in order to fill the gap in my heart that out puppy left, and he is now my best friend, if theres any problems, arguments or things on my mind all i have to do is sit out in the conservatory with gumpy and hes bound to make me laugh at something!!

i have depression and sometimes i guess it must be a drag on my O/H so i know that gumpy is always there when my O/H needs time and space.

its safe to say that gumpy has taught me so much (along with you guys of course)

My neighbour had a rabbit last year called Bugsy. They never looked after it, it was kept in a "frame" that sat on the ground and was covered by a blue tarpaulin 24 hours a day. It was a gorgeous bun who chewed at the chicken wire on the frame everytime we saw him. I called the RSPCA who visited and gave her a telling off. I was :censored:

During a drunken row the neighbours boyfriend put a slab through the window which fell on Bugsys cage killing him, I was gutted. I would of given him a home - I even said to them if they didnt want him I would have him. It really gave me a deeper meaning about bunnies (sorry if I am waffling).

I adore my cats, I have a 3 legged male cat called Spike who needs extra care but Lola has really made an impact!

that's lovely. Hope you don't mind but last week i took lola's piccy off your siggy and sent it to my friend who has a baby called Lola - they loved it!:D:love:

awww the poor thing!!!

bless, i used to want a rabbit when i was younger but felt that i wasnt responsible to give it the looking after it needed which i am glad now as im afraid to admit but if i had had one then it would have ended up a bit well not neglected but just not given as much artention as it should which is why im so glad gumpy is here hes taught me that rabbits have such a character and i feel like ive entered a different world.

my parents dog used to be sensitive to how i was feeling but theres nothing like bunny licks and seeing your bunny binky i think rabbits are harder work than dogs ie most dogs are fairly content whereas most of the time you have to earn a rabbits trust but the rewards are much greater

this is why i love animals more than humans they dont really ask for much and give so much back, cats do pretty much there own thing and are relativley easy to look after, they like cuddles too just when they want them :lol: dogs are very rewarding provided you have the time they are just like kids funny and cheeky, i love dogs but i dont have the time to give them the care they need i.e. taking them for walks in all weathers :oops: rabbits are inbetween to me funny loving in there own way even if it is pooing all over you then hopping over to your partner for a snuggle :roll: but they have that look that smakes you melt even more even when they have been nawty :lol:and im a sucker for that

mind you i didnt think i would find myself sleeping on the kitchen floor making sure a poorly bun ate and drank to be woken up with my face being washed and covered in poops least he didnt wee on me :oops::lol:

You cant beat a bunny lick can you? The first time I saw Lola "binky" I thought she was ill and the first time she flopped down and rolled over on her side to sleep I thought she was a goner!

I love the name Lola - I love Lola Rose jewellery and always said if I had another child it would be called Lola-Rose or Pandora. :oops:

aww, i feel same, i feel for rabbits just like a dog owner would for there dogs, there such a fantastic animal, and do so much more than people who dont have them would no. my mother in law was shocked when we got our first rabits and said why have we bothered, but when they then came out to play she was laughing and saying how ace they was, as the was running around doing there side kicks and showing off, she was absultly amazed that rabbirs was just as enjoyable and lovley as cats n dogs for example.

its just things like knowing what a binky is and how theyre feeling when they flop out you really dont realise, ill admit i didnt really read up on buns as i knew the basic stuff but i did read up and found this forum and stuff and hey presto i love the new intelligence it has brought me however it also frustrates me at times when telling my nan that guinea pigs and rabbits should ideally not be kept together, as my cousins do and she was very ignorant about it saying that they had lived together for so long and they were fine, i also hate seeing so many buns just kept in their cage not allowing their personalities to shine through i just want to help them all

2 years ago i wasn't the slightest bit interested in rabbits as i thought they weren't cuddle and could quite easily hurt you. then i don't know what happened but i decided to help out a charity and started volunteering at Carolines Rabbit rescue. i instantly fell in love with them and have learnt so much from Caroline but mainly from here.

I now have 6 of my own and i foster two hutch-run combos for the rspca, so i generally have 10 rabbits and 8 guinea pigs to look after.

yes it is like a full time job especially the vet trips with the rspca buns, but so totally worth it. MY garden is now full and i love it so much i wouldn't have it any other way. they all have their own personalities, some are easy to pick up and cuddle and some are little devils, but i :love::love: them all.

Sorry for long post:oops:

my pair have deffo had a huge impact on my way of thinking... i think getting a white bunny and then seeing what white bunnies are bred to do have really hit home... i never in a million years could of predicted id become veggie and stop buying animal tested products all because of a little white fuzzy called pearl :love::love::love:

i really miss my weekend lie ins tho :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I had a rabbit as a child but it was a huge white monster! I was scared of it and didn't want another thank-you very much. :lol: But my son now 9 wanted one and promised to look after it - he'd drag me into the pet shop etc etc so I went and we saw Smudge with another bun - anorangey colour one. We both fell for Smudge and we bought him. He is utterly gorgeous! Then my hubby got VERY allergic - (Nebulised) and we couldn't have him indoors - son not bothered about him as much now. :cry: Still plays with him for 5 minutes and says he loves him very much but it's sown to me to clean and care for him. I LOVE him to bits. My hubby thinks I'm nuts but he is sooo cute. I love the little things he does (Except when he lunges at me if I put my hand in his domain. ) :lol:

Lola is absolutely adorable!

I totally underestimated how bunnies would affect my life - I am currrently in the position of moving house and being very restricted by the needs of the rabbtis, which is something i never anticipated! and whenever im in any shop, I'm always on the lookout for toys for them :oops:

but if I could go back and remake my decision knowing what I know now, I'd still get them, they are brilliant :)

Ive just got back from a fairly stressful holiday but couldn't pick B up until the day after as not coveniant for the person who had her.My stomach badly knotted due to stress but as soon as had B back,my heart melted and i could feel the stress ebbing away.She is my true anti depressant!

We took in a bunny from friends which came with a free hutch. I thought that it would be a skoosh. However ....... after a few weeks I realised it was like having a baby all over again! I told my hubby originally, it'll be no trouble at all! He has thrown those words back at me on numerous occasions lastly when I convinced him to build the bunnies a huge compound in the garden so they had more room!

I can honestly say when we got our first adult bun Roscoe in 2002, who was a stray my sister's friend found - I never imagined he would have such an impact on me & my hubby. So much so, I am now totally addicted to bunnies & cannot ever imagine my life without one. They've all helped me so much in some really difficult times - more so than some family & friends when I've needed them! When we lost Roscoe last year & our Willow this year, we were both absolutely gutted, because of what they had added to our lives. I can just sit for hours watching them - particularly in the summer. I'd rather be out watching them in the garden than sat watching the rubbish on the tv - my bunnies are far more entertaining!!

Back