• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mr.Bun

yvette

Wise Old Thumper
This chap hasnt been with me too long.About 2 months.He was found as a stray,we located the owner and she no longer wanted him,so i took him in.I say hes a him, as he thumps,smells a bit musky and im unsure where to Push to make the thingy come up to tell the difference!He has a great appetite,plenty of hay,good quality dried food, carrots and greens.He lives in a wire cage in my bedroom, so i watch him lots, cuddle and pay him as much attention as i can.He also has free run of the house often.He started out relaxed,ears up,calm and cuddly but for 2 or 3 days now, he has become aggressive,growling,biting and kicking.Ive taken some advice to only touch his head,not his face or under the chin,to talk calmly to him and to hold him with his back to my breastbone,,one hand round his ribcage and the other under his bottom.The advice given was only today, so ive yet to try it.Hes currently running round the house,up and down the stairs.I intend to sit and let him come to me and have a nice chat, if you see what i mean, but why the change? Is he in the cage too long?I havent a hutch or run yet.he goes in the garden on a nice day when im with him.Nice days arent too frequent currently!! Im thinking he may be poorly, but all seeems well,appetite,pooh that sort of thing.I want to try and revert him back.Can i do this? Hes a real darling but theres one snag.I keep ferrets.Not a good combination, i know, but i love animals,work with animals and as Mr Bun can be kept away from the ferrets, i will continue to do so.In case you are wondering, i handle the ferrets AFTER handling Mr.Bun!! Hoping im doing the right thing.Please advise,anyone!!

Your idea of sitting until he comes to you is a good one - they don't like being up. You could rattle a few of his treats in a box and pretend to explore it - I get on all fours like him and have the box in between my arms and knock it from one to the other and Smudge comes to investigate - they are nosey creatures. All the best. It'll take time. Just take it 1 stroke at a time.

Also - is he neutered? He will be much tamer after apparently - mine is due to be done soon.

Hiya :wave:

Yeah sounds like his hormones have kicked in! Should get him castrated asap and get him checked up by the vets (usually about £40 for a male castration). I should also consider getting him some Myxi vaccs and VHD vaccs especially if there are alot of animals around/you live out in the sticks.

Loadsa buns (esp boys) love their nose rubs - top of their nose to the crown of their head, if he likes it his eyes may start to close, this can also make it easier for handling, they tend to stay still for a few seconds after this (Hiro does). Take your time with him, and let him explore his surrondings and you. I would try a few fresh bits of grass (pull them from your lawn and feed) this may indicate to him over time that you are not a threat.

Back